Vampire

CES 2014 : WD Black 2,3,4 TB vs New generation from other companies.

If you're buying anyway for a NAS you could just as well move up to 4 TB (a NAS can never be big enough). I'd use the Seagate 5.9k rpm drives, as the speed will mostly be limiited by the network anyway.

MrS

I've run WD Reds, Seagate Desktop.15, and now running HGST Deskstar NAS. The HGST drives are far an away the best drives. They're noisier on access, but run at a similar noise level to the other two when idling. The Deskstars are much quicker, though. Obviously reading and writing across the network isn't any quicker, but my NAS does a fair bit of file moving and sorting (NZBDrone, Transmission, etc), and that's obviously quicker.

Any particular reason to avoid the Toshiba? I heard it's basically an HGST? At least, the HGST before WD's acquisition.

Here, the DT01ACA300 (3TB) is available for <95USD, and the cheapest 4TB drive (Hitachi 0S03362) costs 150USD.

Thanks.

P.S. The ST3000DM001 is available for <105USD, BTW. Both it and Toshiba has 2-year warranty only.

Edited by oiuf786cv

It's not a NAS drive for 1. And while it may be basically someone else's tech, you could buy the actual tech with the engineering and support behind it. Buy a smaller capacity Red or Seagate NAS drive.

No problem not being NAS drives I guess. I have off-site backups.

Why I asked is that I'm wondering if there's any significant breakthrough or new model coming down the road (soon).

Thanks!

Is a WD40EFRX 4TB Red worth the $30 more then the WD40EZRX 4TB Green? The read comes with one more year warranty, and has double the Load/unload cycles.
My planed use is to run this in a NAS but as a single drives, not mirrored. The Primary hold mass data and stream content.

Long term, in a NAS, the Red should live longer. If that's worth $30, that's your call. Personally, unless $30 is a big deal to you, I'd lean toward the duty-built drive and away from the Green which is not recommended by WD for such use.

Its not a big deal as I am not it dire need of space and at current increase of my archive I have until sometime next year before I run out. I guess I am just getting peoples pulse as It i just don't see the prices changing anytime soon nor a consumer >4TB form WD coming out soon either. I was leaning towards the red anyway, and will probably get 2 before the end of the year

Anecdotally, I think the Red is nothing but a Green with different firmware. Just turn off/down the idle timer on the Green and be happy at saving yourself $30 per drive.

It's what I'll be doing next time I upgrade my NAS drives - the HGST drives I have currently are fine things, but run warmer and use more power than is required on my NAS, I only play a few TV shows off it in an evening, so the slowest drive available is fine for my uses. The HGST 7200rpm units are severe overkill as far as performance goes.

How much vibration are you going to get in a 2 or 4 bay NAS with a few 5900rpm drives in it? Vibration might be an issue in a 24-bay rack NAS, but I honestly don't see it being any issue for a NAS that these drives are supposed to be used in. Any 2 or 4 bay NAS I've seen have have rubber or plastic vibration reducing mounts in the bays.

Again, I think it's all marketing BS to add an extra $30 to the price tag of a cheap drive.

It's an offer: +1 year warrenty and vibration sensors + compensation for 30$. It may not always be a good deal (personally I have recommended the Seagate 5.9k rpm over the Red or Green for bulk data storage with a small number of drives), but it's more than just marketing.

MrS

(personally I have recommended the Seagate 5.9k rpm over the Red or Green for bulk data storage with a small number of drives)

Agreed, my backup former main NAS is now my backup NAS. It is a Synology DS213j with a pair of 4TB Desktop.15 drives (ST4000DM000) and I'm very happy with them. They've been running like champs for over a year, not bad considering they were shucked from really cheap Seagate Expansions external drives. I've no hesitation in recommending them either.