Sign in to follow this  
JonDfox

Windows 7 Pro Bootcamp on Basic Thunderbolt SSD

Got another tricky one for ya.

I have an iMac 21,5" late 2012 with thunderbolt.

I want to install Windows 7 Professional Bootcamp on an External Thunderbolt SSD (Basic partition).

I tried using this guide http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7-to-usb-external-hard-drive-must-read/

But didnt work, probably because it's not for Mac users + not Thunderbolt.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thank you for reply!

Best Regards

Jonas

HI,

It might be possible with Bootcamp assistant and Winclone. Looks like it involves making it on your primary drive and then cloning it to the external.

Why do you have to run sysprep?

When I put Win7 on my external thunderbolt drive (Seagate goflex adapter), here's what I did:

1> Installed to internal drive via bootcamp
2> Used winclone to save off a image
3> Removed the bootcamp partition from internal drive (or reformat the partition so it doesn't look like a windows drive anymore)
4> Restored image to thunderbolt drive via Winclone

Step #3 was necessary because otherwise the windows boot loader seemed to get confused by 2 drives with the same ID - maybe thats a problem sysprep solves.

NOTE: The last time I tried this was over a year ago -- since then I remounted the external drive internal to my iMac.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1653997

Depending on what you need to use windows for, you also might be able to use virtualization software such as Parallels Desktop, VMWare fusion or Virtual Box. They should have better luck with the external drive.

HI,

It might be possible with Bootcamp assistant and Winclone. Looks like it involves making it on your primary drive and then cloning it to the external.

----

1> Installed to internal drive via bootcamp

2> Used winclone to save off a image

3> Removed the bootcamp partition from internal drive (or reformat the partition so it doesn't look like a windows drive anymore)

4> Restored image to thunderbolt drive via Winclone

Step #3 was necessary because otherwise the windows boot loader seemed to get confused by 2 drives with the same ID - maybe thats a problem sysprep solves.

------

Depending on what you need to use windows for, you also might be able to use virtualization software such as Parallels Desktop, VMWare fusion or Virtual Box. They should have better luck with the external drive.

This is very useful information, I was just about to purchase Acronis true image (backup program) but I have a look on Winclone and my other options.

I have tried Parallels before and didnt like it, I'm one of those stubborn people, when I have an idea of how I want it, I just have to make it work, hehe.

Thank you very much for the reply Im going to "conduct a number of:... experiments today" hereerhhrrhreheerr! Wish me luck ;) I let you know how I get on!

Edited by JonDfox

I'm giving up, describing the compatibility between Mac/Windows/External Harddrives = USA/Russia/China, try to solve that.

I'm buying a PC, can anyone recommend me hardware and components for a PC designed for Video Editing + gaming?

As for buying, it depends on your needs, wants and budget.

For starters, what level of video editing? Stuff for the occassional youtube video or stuff that will result in videos that pay the bills?

For gaming, what genre of games?