Sign in to follow this  
unityole

format NTFS disk drive above 64KB size?

I want to format my hard drive but in windows when i do that maximum size is 64KB allocation cluster size. I want to be at least able to do 128KB, or 256KB if possible. any idea how this can be done?

There is no reason to do that, unless your drive is larger than 256TB, in which case NTFS won't even support it. 64KB cluster size is the maximum for NTFS.

If your partition is large and going to be used only for huge files, then you can use larger sizes (I'd suggest 16kb) if you want to reduce fragmentation. If it's a boot partition many of the files will be tiny and you will just waste space by using a larger cluster size.

Edited by dietrc70
  • Like 1

Format the drive as exFAT. exFAT supports 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16K, 32K, 64K, 128K, 256K, 512K, 1M, 2M, 4M, 8M, 16M, 32M.

• Like 1

Can a hard drive be formatted with exFAT?

I enabled it on 2 XP systems, but only for an occasional USB flash drive

that needs to store a large drive image of C: i.e. larger than what FAT32 can handle.

If you have actually had success formatting a hard drive with exFAT,

did you encounter any problems?

p.s. Found this:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/06/review-is-microsofts-new-data-sharing-system-a-cross-platform-savior/

Edited by MRFS

I formatted a 12TB spanned volume with exFAT once. Worked perfectly!

Windows GUI won't let you format HDDs exFAT, but you can use the FORMAT command in CMD to do so.

• Like 1