For personal use, on a home storage system, is it worth the hassle, speaking lawfully?

I feel as though if it's used, you look like a potential bad guy, regardless if there's nothing bad. Encrypted zeros even looks suspicious.... It's the reason I haven't implemented it, but cpus crunch #s so fast, it's tempting not to.... And I'm gonna be building a good sized storage array, and the older drives/hardware I planned on encrypting smaller more personal items that isn't accessed frequently. Bank statement pdfs, business scans, family data, etc.

Opinions?

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Who would see inside your machine to know if you're using encryption or not? I don't think it looks odd and wouldn't let that impact my decision.

Society seems to focus on the abnormal, lawfully speaking and not.

I treat encryption with packing a gun via concealed weapons permit.

I was curious if it'd encourage a headache further down the road for whatever of any reason.

Depends on the motivations why do you need to encrypt and how to.

I you use full disk encryption on a NAS, your data is encrypted but most probably the key is known by in the OS (unless you would like to enter the key at each reboot). This encryption scheme would safeguard you from someone stealing a disk but not from someone stealing the all the hardware. Performance impact typically is minimal.

If you encrypt client side (volume or file encryption) then you must find a way to share the key to all devices accessing the data, and there will be some performance impact (depending on what sharing protocol you use - SMB is the worse)

If you only need to encrypt a few files then a simple freeware like AES Crypt could do the job.

Cryptsetup/luks the raw MD device. Then overlaying ext4

Yes, password on every boot. Maybe a password file on a USB drive. Or remotely stored else where.

Actually password on every mount. I'm not encrypting swap/os drive.

Why steal one drive? They're already mounted in a box, pull cords and run. Typical crackhead.

The advantages of this setup, diskless laptop can pull data from over network to/from array transparently, hdmi mirroring, etc. Server does all the ciphering locally.