Brian

WD Black2 SSD/HDD Review Discussion

Now only $145! Hoping a 256GB/2TB version (with internals of the Samsung 2TB M9T comes out) at some point.

Does anybody have more details of how they were able to have 2 drive on one SATA channel? Is it that the bridge chip opens up the sector space for the SSD by default and then opens up the rest of the addresses when the Windows driver is installed? No way for SATA to support more than one drive by it's specification?

Does anybody know how the power management of the mechanical part of the drive is modified with the firmware update? It is supposed to sleep less but trying to find details of how much less.

Also, can windows power management control the sleep timer for the mechanical drive or is it entirely under the control of the firmware?

So what I've discovered is that with the mechanical part of the dual drive, before the firmware update, if the drive has been mostly idle, after about 5 seconds of being idle, it would spin down. So if something is doing a small access every 20 seconds, the drive could be spinning up and down many times a minute. With the firmware update, now if it's idle for about 45 seconds, it'll spin down.

That's still pretty aggressive but it saves energy.

With the original firmware, if the drive had been accessed heavily in the recent past, I don't think it would spin down in the 5-10 seconds like it would if being accessed a little. Haven't timed it in any more detail than this.

i also notice that on the 'top' of the drive, the side with the SSD, the PCB for the SSD only takes up about 1/3 of the space on that riser board, the other 2/3rds has foam under it. So they could have made it a 360GB SSD or more no problem (they have the real estate for it)

Edited by danwat1234

about $122 is what my aunt bought it for and how I have access to one, and holy cow, with the promo code supplied on Newegg, it's only $99.99 shipped now, good through 1/29/2015!

hdtach. Notice the gap at 120GB

post-65141-0-38403900-1422371598_thumb.p

Edited by danwat1234

That really would be a nice upgrade for an older netbook that I have. It has just one 2.5" drive bay and I was considering getting rid of the 160GB HDD and replacing it with a cheap SSD to extend the life of the system. With something like this drive I could have both the SSD and 1TB of storage on that dinky old netbook.

Buy a 240GB SSD, I think you'll be happier. Cloud is your friend for file storage if you need more.

Cloud is useless. How long would it take to upload one TB of data at current home connection speeds? You couldn't completely saturate your link for weeks at a time. With a 10 Mbps connection, uploading at, say, 5 Mbps, you're looking at 3 weeks at a minimum. That's not a project that I intend to take on in my lifetime.

Then, of course, are the use cases where you're not online, which makes upload speed a moot point.

Thankfully I don't move that much data around, mostly docs and productivity stuff.

Right. I do use Dropbox for documents and small files. And just a couple of GB is sufficient for pretty much everything I keep. But I'm not sure I'm really even using that as 'cloud' storage per se, since all of the files also reside locally and the main use is really just to sync the local files between a couple of different computers.