Brian

HDD
Samsung Spinpoint M9T Mobile Hard Drive Discussion

17 posts in this topic

667 GB 2.5" platters?! Wow, did expect this without any prior announcements! This means using the same technology we should be able to pack ~1.3 TB/platter into 3.5" by now. Assuming it's not the vibration at the outer radii which keeps them from increasing the density further.

Any word on how they accomplished this? Shingled recording, maybe?

MrS

I'm 99% sure it's not SMR as those drives are so poor for performance profiles that a consumer needs. I think they're just really good at engineering the platters ;)

Should know more soon, waiting on review samples.

1 person likes this

New and improved M8. Why fix something that's not broken? The M8 has huge market share still with OEMs.

2tb in 2.5" 9mm is insane, but a dream come true LOL now I can manage backup within the same drive before going to externals..

Brian / SR Admin,

Despite Samsung / Seagate's press release, this seems to be vaporware so far as I can tell in the US. The SpinPoint M9T 2TB drives are not "shipping" in any retail channel I have checked (Amazon, Newegg, ...), either as bare drive or in the M3 Portable and P3 Portable external drives. It has now been over a month!

Can you talk to Samsung / Seagate about this and hold their feet to the fire? It's a major disservice to your readers for these companies to lie like this, and the FUD factor has prevented me (and likely others) from buying a 1.5TB laptop drive (or 12.5mm WD Green 2TB) alternative, as I'm expecting this product to be released any day now. The manufacturer's silence on this issue is dishonest and unhelpful.

The drives are not even listed in a standard german price comparison tool. It's got a "good tradition" in the HDD space to announce and only ship months afterwards - but this doesn't make it any more acceptable. It's OK to paper-launch, if they tell is so and provide an expected shipping date. Thanks for looking into it, Brian.

MrS

Thanks, Brian!

I don't mind products being announced before they are released, even if there is no specific shipping date provided. However, Samsung's announcement here actually says, they are "now shipping the new 2.5-inch Spinpoint M9T". (Original press release dated Nov. 6, 2013 is here; it also says,

Availability

The Spinpoint M9T hard drive is currently available in the Samsung Internal Drive product line, which includes the M3 Portable and P3 Portable external drives, as well as with select partners.

which is evidently untrue.

They said it's shipping in externals. I asked for more detail about the bare drives.

They said it's shipping in externals. I asked for more detail about the bare drives.

Thanks! I checked again just now and the P3 external 2TB drive shows up now at NewEgg for a very reasonable price. I'm gonna try to crack it open and use the drive as an internal - wish me luck!

Let us know how it goes...many of those portable drives have the SATA port removed for a USB PCB instead.

Thanks! I checked again just now and the P3 external 2TB drive shows up now at NewEgg for a very reasonable price. I'm gonna try to crack it open and use the drive as an internal - wish me luck!

so just how did it go lol.. kinda need this HDD..

Let us know how it goes...many of those portable drives have the SATA port removed for a USB PCB instead.

so just how did it go lol.. kinda need this HDD..

I postponed this due to holiday travels, and for better or worse, the comments on NewEgg seem to lean towards it having soldered USB connections. I will probably wind up waiting after all until someone else definitively takes the plunge.