Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ratfish

Samsung 840 Pro Freeze/Reboot Problem

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I just installed a 256g 840 Pro on an Asus P5Q Pro and am getting really weird freezes periodically. The system was stable in XP with a velociraptor for years, but I decided to upgrade to an SSD and Windows 7, and now it's completely unstable.

I've updated every driver I could find, disconnected all other drives and run the magician tool thing. It's in AHCI, if that matters.

I'm completely new to SSDs and Windows 7, so I don't know how to determine if the drive is bad or if there's a conflict or bad driver or something somewhere. The drive itself has the latest firmware. Any ideas?

It typically either has a mouse stutter that it recovers from or it will hard freeze and restart. There was only a BSOD once so far with a "stop: 0x00000124" message. All other times it just goes to black then restarts.

Thanks.

Edited by Ratfish

When you run the drive scan in Magician, I assume it tells you all is well and there are no errors or warnings?

Try a new SATA cable, and make sure it is rated for SATA III. Also check the Windows Event Viewer to see if the stutters and crashes are associated with drive errors.

Going to need more information... what does your System Log in the Event Viewer say?

Off a fresh bare bones Windows 7 install did you get any crashes, or did you only get crashes after you started loading drivers?

The magician software always said the drive was fine. The only way I could get this problem to stop was to set it as IDE and reinstall windows. I'm just using magician manually to trim it periodically. I think my motherboard is to blame in some way, but I'm not really sure. Since the reinstall, it's only happened once, but I was messing around with services at the time so it may have been my fault.