Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kdeinv

reliable 3tb external Drive wanted for Toshiba WIN7 Laptop USB 2.0

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

My daughter wants a 3 tb external hard drive for her Toshiba laptop that has USB 2.0 and WIN 7 loaded.

I have heard of issues with WIN 7 and wanted to know which 3tb models would not have the Win 7 problem (recognizing the drive) and is also reliable. Also are all 3 tb models for use with desktops and laptops? I think she wants this space for movies/pictures, and music.

This is on her Christmas list so researching early

Thanks in advance

1 person likes this

Windows 7 will not have trouble recognizing any drive, whereas XP has issues with drives > 2TB. The Seagate externals aren't too pricey and have good reviews on Amazon, and they're USB3, which means they'll work with the USB2 laptop and be future laptop upgrade ready.

WD has a ton of externals too and you can always roll your own. Just be sure you're backing up. Maybe a two bay NAS would be better?

Two separate single-disk enclosures, rotated for backup, would probably be even safer and much cheaper than a 2-bay NAS (but a lot less convenient) since it would protect from user error and viruses and whatnot that would simultaneously take out data in a RAID1 2-bay NAS...