Brian

HDD
HGST Now Shipping 4TB Second-Generation MegaScale DC Cold Storage Hard

10 posts in this topic

HGST has announced that it is now shipping the MegaScale DC 4000.B, a new 3.5-inch, 4TB, 6 Gb/s SATA hard drive engineered for long-term data retention and other 24/7 environments that manage infrequently accessed data with less than 180TB transferred per drive, per year. According to HGST, the 4TB MegaScale DC 4000.B requires up to 45 percent less operating power and 29 percent reduced idle power compared to typical 4TB enterprise HDDs, and 40% less power than HGST’s own 4TB Ultrastar 7K4000.

HGST Now Shipping 4TB Second-Generation MegaScale DC Cold Storage Hard Drive

2 people like this

Great idea. A lot of data and storage devices spend the majority of their lives sleeping or not accessed, so why not design a drive for real-world behavior?

I am disappointed with the 3-year warranty, though. Kind of goes against the intent of the product.

Edited by HiWire

Not really - hyperscale guys want low cost and they're willing to take lower grade platters and parts, hence lower grade warranty, to get the lowest drive cost possible. That is, until something even slower and cheaper can be created.

Curious how it is designed to take less I/O activity than another hard drives. Less robust arm and head technology? How does it compare to consumer HDDs, probably about the same?

Edited by danwat1234

Above the consumer line but it uses parts that otherwise wouldn't make it into an Ultrastar.

I like the Google approach...massive redundancy using tons of cheap off the shelf consumer drives. They wouldn't do it if it wasn't better in the long run.

Here in Europe, the MegaScale DC is more expensive than the Ultrastar 7K4000 and way more expensive (factor 2) than the Deskstar 7K4000. If I want cheap storage, I would take Google's approach, too...