Sign in to follow this  
Stereodude

SR closing permenantly 1/28/02...

I read the thread on Davin's resume. Where does it say the site is closing??

James Ashton

:cry: :( :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry: :(

Let's record a Joy Division cover "Money Will Tear Us Apart Again". It would be a worldwide hit (considering the success of other crap cover versions lately) and generate enough revenue to keep SR going for ten years.

No where did I leave that microphone again...

Stereodude i am sorry to hear this :( I really do like storagereview.com and it will be missed a whole lot. I love the fourms which i will not beable to use anymore after 1/28/01. I wish there was someway storagereview and the fourm could stay. Well i think everyone who managed and was part of storagereview did i great job. Plus I do not have any other place to go either to see hard drive reviews as good as stroagereview.

Well i hope i see everyone in this fourm in some other fourm or somewhere soon after storagereview is closed.

Terrible news; I visit a number of sites - mostly daily - the reviews here set a standard that few other sites even dream of approaching. This is the only forum I've joined, mainly due to the maturity of most posters. Although I don't post very often, I've garnered much useful info from the threads. I hope someone does come up with a replacement, the accumulated knowledge of the people on this site should not atrophy!

Long live SR!

Good God no!!!!! 8O

No-where else on the web can I post a question and get intelligent answers. The wealth of knowledge shared here is unparralleled; forums and reviews alike. THis place will be sorely missed.

If there is anything I can do to help you to avoid this, feel free to let me know.

I will miss this site, 'sniff' :(

Isn't there anything some of us can do? Such as host it on another box?

I could do that - I have unlimited bandwidth usage and caould set up a forum I guess...

Guest russofris
Isn't there anything some of us can do? Such as host it on another box?

I could do that - I have unlimited bandwidth usage and caould set up a forum I guess...

It's funny. I run an ISP and have many sites that cannot afford their bills for the past 3-4 months. I sympathize with them, I really do. There have been many occasions where I have accepted $20 on a $200 bill. Sometimes I just have them pay for their bandwidth and give them the rack space/ server costs for free.

It's a shame to see that this is happening with one of my favorite sites.

Will miss.

Will somebody post a link to a new forum after the exodus?

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Best wishes E&D

Frank:

Got anything in mind? I'm thinking somewhere like Ars or something perhaps. I just don't like those sites with a million ten year olds boasting about their crap and argueing and flaming people...

Some of the forums at Ars are more "rough" than others, but the mods usually keep things from getting too far out of hand. The Other Hardware forum is one I like to frequent, but SR is the only one that focuses exclusively on storage, which is rather nice.

I can recommend the forums at www.overclockers-network.com

No censorship, and no 10 year old screaming kiddies either

At the very least, somebody ought to host an archived version of this site. The articles are invaluable.

However, I'd rather not see SR wink out like so many other independent web sites.

I would be willing to take over SR and move it to my servers. I am currently remodeling my site and moving to brand new servers and will be adding an extensive storage area to my site. I would be able to preserve the users and reviews, etc. It will be sad to see SR drop off the face of the earth completely and I am offering my services. The admin / owner can feel free to shoot me an email. See my sig for my current site and forums. Its up to you guys!

I would be happy to pay, but there definitely has to be a decent credit card payment sytem because paypal sucks donkey balls. I tried numerous times to register my cc via paypal, failed 3 times. Then I tried to send an AMEX gift cheque but the system failed at the last step lol. I guess I will never see the 3 glorious stars now :(

This is depressing :cry:

This is one of the few sites that I look forward to visiting every chance I get.

If SR can't be saved, maybe we could meet at www.thetechzone.com. The hardware forum doesn't get a lot of traffic, and there aren't many 10 year olds.

Bozo :D

Has anybody asked for permission to archive all of the old reviews, tables, test results etc?

An ftp server would do just fine for that purpose. I wish I had the resources for that - I would do it.

I am just afraid that by the time someone asks for their permission and clears all the legal aspects of it (Storagereview is a company and as such they may have to go thru some legal hassle before giving away their intellectual property) the site will be down and all files lost.

8O

I believe it was the hideous cost of the p4 2GHz that finally took them to the brink of financial ruin! Damn you Intel! Hope your happy STL!

8O

j/k :wink:

If we're going to pick another meeting place, I think we need to be careful about where we go.

Avoiding the pre-teen/teen croud is certainly desireable... However, it would be good to find somewhere that is big enough to be around for awhile. Getting settled in just to find the new site is closing would suck...

Ian

If we're going to pick another meeting place, I think we need to be careful about where we go.

Avoiding the pre-teen/teen croud is certainly desireable... However, it would be good to find somewhere that is big enough to be around for awhile. Getting settled in just to find the new site is closing would suck...

Ian

Arg! How did that happen???? Well, guess a double post is better than none at all....

Funny how it dumped those two posts in boom-boom, but is now saying I have to wait to make this one.... Arg!

Ian