Gswiss

Samsung 840 - Abnormal performance differences between W7 and XP

I have a Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB running under an XP/W7 dual boot system (ASUS P5Q3 MB), SATA II.

I'm surprised by the poor results in XP compared to W7. XP is running in RAID mode (no RAID operation active) while W7 shows no difference beteween RAID and AHCI modes. Initially, I didn't have these bad results under XP. They came about when I made the mistake of running SSD Tweaker which probably changed some performance I had put into place manually.

Anyhow, partitions are aligned, 4K units are used, 20% free space allocated on SSD, indexation is disables on all partitions, all operating systems and programs are on SSD while all the rest is on hard disk, including Pagefile.sys.

I used many of the suggestions outlined in this site: http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-ultimate-windows-8-edition/

Would you have a hint as to what may have been changed?

XP does not have TRIM. Download the samsung magician soft and run "performance optimization" to get something similar. It should restore performance.

I have a Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB running under an XP/W7 dual boot system (ASUS P5Q3 MB), SATA II.

I'm surprised by the poor results in XP compared to W7. XP is running in RAID mode (no RAID operation active) while W7 shows no difference beteween RAID and AHCI modes. Initially, I didn't have these bad results under XP. They came about when I made the mistake of running SSD Tweaker which probably changed some performance I had put into place manually.

Anyhow, partitions are aligned, 4K units are used, 20% free space allocated on SSD, indexation is disables on all partitions, all operating systems and programs are on SSD while all the rest is on hard disk, including Pagefile.sys.

I used many of the suggestions outlined in this site: http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-ultimate-windows-8-edition/

Would you have a hint as to what may have been changed?

For best performance you should put pagefile on the SSD. 840 Pro is a great drive which can handle many operations including pagefile and hibernation.

Usually only aligning and turning off defrag are mandatory.

Without indexing you can search outlook mails fast for example.

XP does not have TRIM. Download the samsung magician soft and run "performance optimization" to get something similar. It should restore performance.

One of the reasons I chose Samsung was because of Magician. I went through its performance options right from the beginning.

For best performance you should put pagefile on the SSD. 840 Pro is a great drive which can handle many operations including pagefile and hibernation.

Usually only aligning and turning off defrag are mandatory.

Without indexing you can search outlook mails fast for example.

There is a debate as to whether deactivate pagefile or store it on an HDD partition. Microsoft claim that there are 40 more read operations than write operations so that pagefile on SSD is not too harmful. I tried both options. Right now, the pagefile is sitting on the HDD.

Another mandatory option for performance is to format the SSD in 4K blocks.

Edited by Gswiss

I finally restored an earlier Windows XP Base Registry which reinstated an acceptable performance. Consequently, I don't know which parameter was changed by the Tweaker.

Pagefile should absolutely be kept on the SSD. That is one of the applications where the much faster access time of the SSD makes huge, huge gains over a harddisk in real-world "feel."

Of course a modern system, properly equipped, should rarely be touching the pagefile to start with... so while the pagefile is essential, it's not something you should be hitting too often.