keymoo

New LSI MegaRAID 9270-8i slower than my old Adaptec 5405

I am replacing my four year old VMware ESXi home server and have just copied a windows server 2012 ISO to both machines. My old machine has 4 x1TB HDDs on an adaptec 5405. My new machine has 4x 4TB HDDs on an LSI MegaRAID 9270-8i (no battery backup yet - should arrive soon). Both RAID arrays are configured as RAID-5.

The copy using the old adaptec took 1min 10s

The copy using the new LSI took 18min 39s

I have configured read ahead on, write-through on the LSI. Do you know what could be wrong? Are there any settings on the motherboard I might have overlooked? Other LSI controller settings?

I am replacing my four year old VMware ESXi home server and have just copied a windows server 2012 ISO to both machines. My old machine has 4 x1TB HDDs on an adaptec 5405. My new machine has 4x 4TB HDDs on an LSI MegaRAID 9270-8i (no battery backup yet - should arrive soon). Both RAID arrays are configured as RAID-5.

The copy using the old adaptec took 1min 10s

The copy using the new LSI took 18min 39s

I have configured read ahead on, write-through on the LSI. Do you know what could be wrong? Are there any settings on the motherboard I might have overlooked? Other LSI controller settings?

Here are some benchmarks I did with CrystalDiskMark

My old server inside a Windows Server 2008 R2 VM with a Thick provisioned disk (Lazy zeroed)

cPp63P5.png

My new server inside a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM with a Thick provisioned disk (Eager zeroed)

MYIvC7X.png

Switching on Write-Back caching seems to have improved performance massively. I can live with the risk of power failure (have UPS anyway) until my battery arrives.

Fzt8DdD.png