Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mkruer

Wester Digital Green 4TB

5 posts in this topic

There was a lot of discussion asking about this drive a year ago, and since it was not reported on the front page. WD has quietly release their 4TB green drive for $190 US. looks like the same specs as red, just with a 2yr warranty.

http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=780

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Green-Desktop-WD40EZRX/dp/B00EHBEUZO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1379606467&sr=1-1&keywords=4tb+green+hard+drive+internal

Now the real questions is should anyone bother with this drive. I am thinking I will just wait til the end of the year and pick up the 5TB Red.

3 people like this

Given how new 4TB Red's are, I highly doubt you'd see a 5TB either.

(sucks, I know... I would love to see 5TB or 6TB sooner rather than later, if only because I just outgrew my 3TB backups for some customers here and I think 4TB won't last them nearly as long as they're thinking...)

Given how new 4TB Red's are, I highly doubt you'd see a 5TB either.

(sucks, I know... I would love to see 5TB or 6TB sooner rather than later, if only because I just outgrew my 3TB backups for some customers here and I think 4TB won't last them nearly as long as they're thinking...)

We shall see. The only reason I was speculating is because. The leaked road map said 3Q 2013, and the green did come out in 3Q all be it literately the last month of the quarter. The road map also said 4Q for the 5TB green and red, and Seagate said 1Q 2014 for their 5TB drive.

Now for another questions :-P

When will the Black Drives use 4x1TB platters vs 5x800GB?

WD has been known to slip in platter revisions without much fanfare, so it could happen...but they have a platform that works now and they like, you may have to wait for 5TB to see that significant of a change.