Sign in to follow this  
Prof.Wizard

SR's UD team: summer calling!

Do you think you're strong enough?

Do you think you have what it takes to be a "hero"?

Uncle S... err... Eugene wants you!! :wink:

Why you leave your PC running idle when you can help the research against cancer?

Join SR's United Devices team now and fight cancer with the rest of us! Here's the link.

PS. Those of you who were in and don't want to run UD "think" anymore, please unsubscribe ("retire"). I want real fighters, not push-overs!! :twisted:

Still crunchin, Prof, albeit slowly.

I know it Tannin. That's why I surpassed you... :wink: :lol: :twisted:

This is good to know Steve... :)

Don't worry about the lost points.

I'm sure you're gonna score them again... :wink:

WTG! KEEP COMING, PEOPLE!

Hey, I'm still in there. I don't leave my computers on as long as I used to, but hey, I'm still crunching away! :wink:

I've just added myself to the Storagereview team!

1. XP 1700

2. PIII 833MHz (24/7)

3. PIII 866<Hz (Trying to add it-24/7)

It's OK balding_ape, then the initial "PS" doesn't go to you... :wink:

Welcome aboard dextroz, nice to have you and your 3 naughty boxes with us... :P

Woohoo! Got the third machine running for 24/7!

BTW Thank you Prof. Wizard...

Now I am getting compulsive, just spent the previous 5 hours sneaking into other PC's in my office and installing UD agnet on their machines heh...heh.. (not my fault if people can be so stoopid) :twisted:

I have only one problem though, is there a way to install the proggie in 95/98 machines so that they don't see the proggie running :) ?

For NT 4.0 I am using FireDaemon...

Woohoo!  Got the third machine running for 24/7!

BTW Thank you Prof. Wizard...

Now I am getting compulsive, just spent the previous 5 hours sneaking into other PC's in my office and installing UD agnet on their machines  heh...heh.. (not my fault if people can be so stoopid) :twisted: 

I have only one problem though, is there a way to install the proggie in 95/98 machines so that they don't see the proggie running :) ?

For NT 4.0 I am using FireDaemon...

I'm sorry but I believe what you are doing to be highly unethical and very offensive to me. The surest sign that you are doing something unethical is the fact that you feel the need to hide the action. If you didn't feel that it is wrong, then there is no need to hide: You could be upfront and ask and if they say yes, no prob. By sneaking and hiding they are not getting a choice over something that should be entirely under their control.

You may argue that it won't hurt anyone and thereby it is not a problem. What do you think will happen when someone notices that their comput CPU is maxed-out at 100% all the time. How much diagnosis time will go into solving this problem when they have no clue as to what is causing it. What about the concept that the UD agent may interfere with some program that is important to the business. While, it does not seem to happen often, I have noticed that UD does interfere with some games (They slow down). How much diagnosis time may go into solving this type of problem.

People should not be considered stupid, just because they trust you and others. Without trust, little can actually be accomplished because of the amount of effort needed to protect oneself in a distrusting enviornment. This small thing you are doing can potentially affect the office in a great many detrimental ways, if discovered.

The person that is stupid is the one breaking the trust and then bragging about it. A smart unethical person does not brag, because those that hear it will also not trust. Since the bragging is being done in a public forum, there is potential that the harmed people may find out and think of how that may affect you work. Unethical people pray on others trust, so that you are potentially shooting yourself in the foot by bragging: You may want to run a scam on someone here someday.

Who's the stupid one?

PS. I have no intention of responding further. I don't want to convert this thread into a flame war. I just felt the need to express myself and now that it has been done, I will not go further.

Today definately is not my day on SR- this is my second apology, fortunately it's 11:22p.m. here and the day is about to get over :(

Maybe the stars are all placed wrong for me or whatever, but I didn't expect to sound it off as so 'stealthy'... I'll explain me position a bit: I am kind of a systems in-charge here in my office, and we have shared machines for common Internet activity. The only problem is when people start snooping on the programs and start installing/uninstalling them or hitting ctr-alt-del for no reason but to just tinker and then they end up screwing the machines for me to go and fix, not just from the point of view of running UD.

Some people find UD very interesting and love to see the points soar (I've been running it on the machines in my room for a month now with 9000 points); some look at it with a "what's in it for me?" attitude, which I despise, moreso when these are the same people who want to download everything from the Internet for free! - These are the people who I find 'stoopid' (excuse me using the word again) - who want everything from the Internet, but never stop to ask themselves from where it's all coming. They always wonder as to why people would want to 'share' their stuff on the Internet for others to take.

Oh well, I hope you get the picture. There is nothing unethical I am doing, hey I am fairly strong principled (although my previous post might have sounded devilish, it was just to portray my state of 'excitment'?)

P.S. I am sure you (P5-133XL) can read these posts buddy, it can't be that easy to start a flame-war. I think you are right in pointing out my rashness in typing out so impulsively and hitting the 'Submit' button without really reading the post carefuly... Yes my post really came out bad, and thanks for your advice and concern your points are well taken down.

Anyway, have a nice day I am off to bed now! - To a better tomorrow hopefully :roll:

...I am kind of a systems in-charge here in my office...
Whatever you finally do, dextroz, since you're in charge there won't be a problem.

Personally, I suggest you to tell them.

Thanks for the reminder.  :)

Nothing. Just serving the crown, my Lord... :D

Sorry, I'm already on the Tivo team. SR is great, but TIVO rules :)

(I'm all for more UD folks, however, and wish your team well!).

As you wish, man. We don't force anyone... :wink:

BTW, your team's homepage if I found that correctly seems to be down.

Can you give me an alternative URL?

(I think I've got one, but want to be sure...)

I'm in as of today with:

PII 366 Celeron

P3 400

Soon to add:

XP 1800

P3 800

This is a GREAT cause and effort. Wish I had known about it a year ago. Anyway, every little bit helps!

:!:

Fortunately my company just switched over to MAPICS to run the business, and we've got 13 Celeron 850s on the floor just to handle people clocking in and out of jobs, so I was able to install the UD Agent on all of them. :D

So that's where most of my crunching is coming from, I've got the agent running on most of the computers outside of the Engineering department. And those mainly coz they run NT4, and the engineers log off at night.

Mike

Kudos mholda!

I guess it's not by chance that you're the undisputed crunching hero of this team.

KEEP IT ROLLING PEOPLE!

I see more than 2000 registered on these forums... where are you all?

C'mon, UD is not hurting anyone... invest your unused CPU cycles!

Before I setup my computers, I have a question. Does anyone realy know for sure that our CPU time is going towards the research against cancer? I know this is out there, but they could be using it to increases the effectiveness of nuclear bombs for all we know. (Not that they need to, but you get the point.) If someone can squash my theory, please do.

Well you can pick what projects you want to run, a little while back they added an anthrax toxin research project to the list of possible ones. I think they are pretty much done using the system for that purpose though.. so its back to cancer research. go read http://www.ud.com for info.

I guess theres no "proof" but I don't think a nuclear simulation or some other nasty research prog would show you the molecular model diagrams it is analyzing while it runs ;)

Also the US goverment already bought ASCI White and ASCI Red and ASCI Blue etc for that purpose, or similar ones :P

MHOLDA:

What version of MAPICS? XA 5.5, 6.0, 7.0?

My company now running XA 5.5, and soon to upgrade to XA 6.0.

Wish I could find a few Celerons to help the UD research cause . . .

Hmmm, maybe an idea... :twisted: :wink:

6 I think.

I'm not really involved on that end of things for some reason, I mainly just handle the hardware side of things at my job.

Before I setup my computers, I have a question. Does anyone realy know for sure that our CPU time is going towards the research against cancer? I know this is out there, but they could be using it to increases the effectiveness of nuclear bombs for all we know. (Not that they need to, but you get the point.)  If someone can squash my theory, please do.

You know gRel... you were reading my mind pal.

I was thinking exactly the same some 2-3 months ago. The theory could be valid, albeit what your screensaver makes you see on-screen. Maybe afterall we're computing algorithms of nuclear explosion simulations... 8O

But then again, wouldn't be to risky for UD (as a company) to distribute to half of the world a program that would possibly be decompiled and reverse-engineered (for better performance) and studied to what it really does? Can you imagine the public outcry if they found out it was a nuke sim?! :o

PS. BTW, why you care? I see you post from California so I presume you're an American. It's us that we would be working for the US goverment without knowing it... :P

Well, you guys have convinced me. I joined last Friday. I currently only have one machine (1.8ghz) running the UD agent. How big of a role does HD space play? I currently only have 1 gig allocated.

In defense of my theory, I would have to say that it wouldn't be much of a risk to UD at all. Such a small portion of the whole is one any individual computer, that it would be very hard to de-compile and reconstruct the algorithm. Not even to mention that if they are using some form of data encryption, it would make it nearly impossible.

Don't judge me wrong though. If legit, I think this is a very admirable cause. I had a younger brother that died of cancer.

The reason any of this is an issue to me is because I don't want to contribute to weapons research in any form. I believe that all life is precious, and I am completely against the killing of any human lives. Besides, we already have enough firepower to destroy our planet and ourselves many times over.

- genRel