Sign in to follow this  
Blutarsky

Are extension cable safe?

I am using a Sata extension cable (0,5 meters) for an internal HD 2,5"

YRzHDUJgT37tNll9CBYV58-30.jpg

however two hard disk got damaged (bad sectors, after a while)..

I was wondering if the problem may be due to a defective/too long cable, or if simply could be a coincidence....

What do you think?

Bad sectors are a hardware issue, so those wouldnt be directly linked. That said why are you using extension cables versus a longer single cable?

Bad sectors are a hardware issue, so those wouldnt be directly linked. That said why are you using extension cables versus a longer single cable?

Basically the disk is part of a sat decoder; the decoder sports a sata-to-proprietary plug (connected to the decoder's motherboard).

As I wish to comfortably access the disk, I have bought the extension cable, to allow the disk to be placed outside of the decoder's case.

The disk sits in a safe area.

It simply may have been a defective batch (identical disks), however as the decoder's cable is very short, I was wondering if prolonging the cable could lead to side effects, for example lower voltage, consequently damaging the disk....

SATA spec tops out at around 3 feet, so as long as you stay under that (with quality connections on each side) you should be safe.

SATA spec tops out at around 3 feet, so as long as you stay under that (with quality connections on each side) you should be safe.

3 Feet is roughly 1 meter... maybe using a tester I can test for proper voltage?

Thanks for helping