Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eshap

Intel RST: any use without RAID?

5 posts in this topic

What's Intel RST good for besides RAID? On XP it provides AHCI. But other than that, on Windows 7 and 8, does it provide any more performance or features than stock Windows 7/8 drivers for HDDs and/or SSDs?

If there IS benefit to the drivers, is there any reason to leave the extra services or other software it installs?

3 people like this

What's Intel RST good for besides RAID? On XP it provides AHCI. But other than that, on Windows 7 and 8, does it provide any more performance or features than stock Windows 7/8 drivers for HDDs and/or SSDs?

If there IS benefit to the drivers, is there any reason to leave the extra services or other software it installs?

Much better performance than Microsoft's in-box driver. Latest version supports Hinting for SSHDs.

What's "much better" and in what scenarios? Any need for the extra running services for that, or just core driver? What's hinting?

I didn't benchmark, but I can't say I've noticed any improvement. Boot may take somewhat longer, but I've installed other drivers along with it so can't say yet what's the cause.

What's "much better" and in what scenarios? Any need for the extra running services for that, or just core driver? What's hinting?

I didn't benchmark, but I can't say I've noticed any improvement. Boot may take somewhat longer, but I've installed other drivers along with it so can't say yet what's the cause.

A couple years old, but still should give you a good idea.

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Comparison-MS-vs-Intel-RST-10-5-AHCI-drivers-for-Windows/td-p/52560

I also *think* you need the RST drivers for TRIM support on SSDs.

Edited by DigitalFreak

According to WIkipedia TRIM may be supported since Win7.

Anyway, I've uninstalled Intel's RST. The core driver file remained an Intel one, and not the stock Microsoft, but all the Intel services and extra junk are gone (well, the ones related to the storage driver). Good enough for me. :)