Sign in to follow this  
Davin

Western Digital Caviar WD800JB

Although the Maxtor is relatively new (<1 year) I needed more space and the WD800JB was an easy choice. It's a lot quieter and seems faster. According to HDTach, average throughput is almost 40,000 kbps. I have been a longtime fan of IBM Deskstars until recently, when I was bit by a failure and started reading about the problems. I have a 60GXP that is very fast but I can't take the risk since the system is powered on 24/7. All in all, I'm very pleased.

-kj-

p.s. Norton Ghost ROCKS!

i am very disappointed in this drive, noise doesnt matter to me, but it was not that quiet. lol. it failed on me in less than a year. and i didn't have my data backed up (i know,m y fault) i'm not spending $300 to get it back, but i'm very mad. lol. it was also high temperature, and very slow (compared to my WD 30gig hd) i am still under warranty so i am getting a replacement, but i am also going to buy another hard drive, hopefully the IBM 120gig one. if anyone has any idea how to get my data off after suffering clicking (head crash) besides sending it in to some place for lots of money, let me know :)

I have had TWO of these drives fail (working fine one minute, fail on cold restart) on me in less than 3 months, gigs of lost, IMPORTANT data. They run incredibly hot, they underperform given their specifications (benchmark 30 Mb/s vs 38 Mb/s on an equivalent Maxtor)... and the worst thing, they fail!

I have been a long time fan of Western Digital; I had 212 Mb that gave 10 years of trouble-free service. These are the first drives I've had problems with, but it's been a gross disappointment. Either a design flaw or a bad production run. Also, the first drives I've seen made in Thailand. Nothing against the Thais, but I know they need some work in the quality control arena.

Needless to say, Western Digital is silent on this matter, but it wouldn't be the first time (remember the recall of a few years ago? How many people had to lose data before they acknowledged the problem?).

My next drive will be a Seagate.

I have had no problems with my WD800JB(except for heat, but it's in a Shuttle XPC snug up against a D740X 80gb FDB).

This drive has really come far in two years. Now a single platter design and if you are lucky, FDB motor. I think the 7k250 outperforms it now.

Hi, just a query

I have just recently tested my 2- (WD800JB) HDDs, with WINBENCH 99 Ver2.0

and it tells me that the transfer rate at the beginning is 57.5mbps and 35.2mbps at the end ??? it also says the same when using HDTach 2.61 and HDTach 2.7 ????

In your review of the WD800JB your outer edge transfer rate is 49.3mbps and the inner edge is 29.2mbps!!!!

What is going wrong ????

The thing is, that i also have a (WD740GD Raptor) and my Raptor benches out exactly the same as your production test unit (71.8mbps / 53.9mbps).

I also have an old (WD600BB) HDD, and that benches out at 45.2mbps outer edge and 28.3mbps inner edge.

So the program must be running correctly as my Raptor results are identical ???

And the WD800JB drives are posting much faster transfer speeds than your results.

Please help

I think the guys who do the reviews might have to answer this ???

Everyones input is welcome.

The WD800JB in the review is of an older generation than yours (I assume). The review sample was of the 40 GB/platter generation. Yours, if it's a more recent drive, is likely of the newest 80 GB/platter generation. If so, it probably looks different from the review drive. That would explain the better results you're getting.

The WD800JB is a long-awaited "lower capacity" version of Western Digital's high-performance ATA drive line. Does it live up to the performance of its larger brothers? StorageReview.com puts it to the test!

Western Digital Caviar WD800JB Review

Definitely,

Especially in its latest incarnation, confirmed by Western Digital when i emailed them 24-hours ago. ( 1 x 80Gb PLATTER ).

57.5Mbps outer edge, and 35.2Mbps inner edge. ( Tested with Winbench 99 Ver2 ).

Funny thing is, if you have a look at the specifications on the Western Digital site for the ( WD800JB ) It still states that it has 2 x platters !!!!

Hummmmm ?????

WD isn't very good at maintaining accurate product info on their website.