Sign in to follow this  
Davin

Western Digital Caviar WD800JB

:) Nice article, now its time to scrape up some cash and buy one of these drives.

Kid

Since the article compared the WD800JB to the 1200JB in text it would have been nice is the graphs and tables had actually contained the data for the WD1200JB.

I just purchased a WD800JB and a Maxtor 40 gig D740X but haven't had time to install either of them yet. Each drive will be the boot drive in two otherwise identical systems. I'm extreemly anxious to find out which one of them "feels" the fastest in regular run-of-the-mill daily use. I'd appreciate comments as to which one should.

Great article! I have been using this drive for close to a month in my gaming rig. Let me just say that I have been HAMMERING on this drive at least 12 hrs a day with SOF2 Multiplayer, Morrowind,( my nephew pLays when I am at work) and MOHAA. It is nice to see benchmark results resounding what I already know about the great performance of this drive. What more can you say? like many other great choices out there, if you a shopping for 80GB solution right now, grab this sucker. when will the working version of the Data Lifeguard for WD drives be available for XP"? anyone? is there another set that is comparable?

I was anxiously awaiting that review as well. Looks like I'm in for a treat once I get it installed and set up. I am just a little disappointed in the drive's reported access times however and wish WD would work on that aspect of performance.

Since the article compared the WD800JB to the 1200JB in text it would have been nice is the graphs and tables had actually contained the data for the WD1200JB.

Aye, that was a mistake... both the WD1200BB and JB should also be present in the graphs. It'll be corrected soon.

Excellent treating Eugene... congratulations, as always!

Well, the drive is definitely on my shopping list:

Superb performance for an ATA drive (as every Special Edition drive from WD so far) and with a very interesting price.

I also like the fact that WD decided to go on the two-platter design. This surely helped decrease the noise levels (which are indeed very low) and made the drive run incredibly cool...

Another winner! Another SR Safe Buy...

I also have this drive. Good article, and great drive. I second the comment about the 1200JB/BB numbers being included.

I am considering putting the Raid controller on my TH7-II to use when the price dips closer to $100.

I also have this drive. Good article' date=' and great drive. I second the comment about the 1200JB/BB numbers being included.

Ok, the 1200JB/BB numbers have been included in the graphs. Sorry for leaving those out. :oops:

???

The 3 platters model has a 120GB capacity and the 2 platters model has 80GB of space. All the WD1200JB have three platters and all the WD800JB should have two platters. Both use 40GB platters.

Generally, the size of the drive is writen on the sticker on top of it.

I think what he meant was the very earliest 800JB models may have been using 27 GB/platter disks, while the current crop use 40 GB/platter disks. I doubt there is a statistically signficant number of the former floating around, as it got yanked off WD's site rather quickly.

Actually, I've been waiting for the review.. I wanted to verify low noise, so I can get a few of these to power my (almost) silent server... I figure four of these on a four-channel Highpoint RAID controller is a good thing. :-)

Nice to know it's fairly quiet. Great review, as always!

Quiet it is indeed. In fact it is surprising. I just defragged mine the first time last night and I literally couldn't hear it at all unless I had the side of the case removed and an ear on the drive cage.

I don't know if this has been brought up in previous drive comparisons, but I thought I should mention that the differences between the WD800JB and WD1200JB in the Desktop Performance tests are a little misleading. The performance differences between the two are exaggerated by capacity differences as the SR test suite uses fixed 30 GB testing partitions.

This same bias is present in the testing of the other drives as well, so the differences between the 120 GB 7200 rpm drives (IBM 120GXP and WD1200BB) and 80 GB (Maxtor D740X and Barracuda IV) are exaggerated as well.

Yes, 120 GB drives are faster in real life than 80 GB drives, given the same mechanism, but a note should be made in the article saying that capacity does affect performance, and to keep that in mind when comparing the drives of different capacities (apples to oranges, and all that...).

After reading the Seagate Barracuda IV, and then the Maxtor D740X reviews, I read the one for the Western Digital WD800JB.

Most importantly the D740X review states "Unlike other recent Maxtor drives, the 740DX doesn't support write verification". Does the WD800JB have write verification? What about the Barracuda IV? This sounds important to have, but no more details are given. Is this CRC checking? And while the review points out this is uncommon compared to other recent Maxtor drives, it does not state how common or uncommon this is in other HD brands. More info about this please.

Less importantly (but still of interest) since the drive already runs at very low noise and heat levels is whether this drive features regular ball bearings or fluid dynamic bearings, or if there are some of each out there (like the D740X). If there are some of each, how to distinguish between the two (hopefully before purchasing) would be nice to know. Is there any hard data out there yet that shows that FDB drives are more reliable?

Just wondering what your opinion was regarding both drives. I'll be buying one soon and I'm not sure which one yet.

Thanks

I just purchased a WD800JB and a Maxtor 40 gig D740X but haven't had time to install either of them yet.  Each drive will be the boot drive in two otherwise identical systems.  I'm extreemly anxious to find out which one of them "feels" the fastest in regular run-of-the-mill daily use.  I'd appreciate comments as to which one should.

I'm quite happy with both of them. The maxtor "feels" like it has a bit faster access time in some cases/applications but for me, and for my kind of normal daily use, the 800JB wins hands down. The WD is also amazingly quiet, nearly dead silent, and I love that.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I'll be going with WD. I saw your other posts, which I also found helpful. I currently have an i440BX board. Do you suggest I get a Promise Ultra ATA/100 card? Would the Ultra ATA/133 card make a difference?

Thanks!

You're welcome. I'd recommend an ATA-100 adapter in your case because of the drive's sustained sequential read rate performance. An ATA-133 adaptor should also support drives larger than 137 gigs(?) in capacity if that is important for you, but I don't think it will provide better performance. Rest assured that I will be corrected if that is incorrect. I think you will be very happy with it if, like me, you have never experienced SCSI.

I'm interested to know what the WD800JB's RAID 0 performance is like as compared to say the IBM120GXP - when connected to an HPT372 or Promise 20276 on-board controller. Previously the JB series was a little too expensive to RAID but since the 800JB is more sweetly priced, it is now a more viable option.

At Overclokers Australia they recently conducted a Review comparing the 120GXP, 1000JB & D740X which concluded:

Single Disk Use

When used a single hard disk drives the Western Digital 1000 JB and the IBM 120GXP perform basically identical, both far better than the tested competition. Looking at the results in Content Creation 2001 we feel however that a "high-end" user who is regularly working with hard disk intensive applications and huge files is served best with one of the 8 MB cache disks from Western Digital. The D740X, king of the hill just a couple of months ago, has been dethroned and would be only our 3rd choice.

1st choice: Western Digital 1000JB

2nd choice: IBM 120GXP

3rd choice: Maxtor D740X

Raid 0

Looking at their amazing transfer rates under RAID 0 it's safe to say that both the IBM 120GXP and the Western Digital 1000JB are excellent choices. But the 120GXP is our recommended choice for RAID 0. One reason is the lower power consumption and the lower temperature. This is important when coupling 2 or even more disks for RAID operations. Another reason is the cost: 2 of the aggressively priced IBM 120GXP (40GB) cost less than 1 unit of the Western 1000JB, provide only 20% less storage, but perform when RAIDed clearly faster than a single 1000JB with 100GB. The Maxtor D740X would be again only our third choice. The volatile transfer rate diagram is a reason for concern.

1st choice: IBM 120GXP

2nd choice: Western Digital 1000JB

3rd choice: Maxtor D740X

http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a...out/page5.shtml

I'm interested in any other RAID 0 comparisons of the 120GXP's & JB's.

Thanks

I haven't used or even messed with any drive in RAID-0 because of the zero fault tolerance of the mode but plan on playing with RAID-1 soon.

Just to clarify this:

The 80BB are in two versions. The first ones came with 3 platters. Now they come with 2 platters.

The 80JB has never been built with 3 platters. 2 platter version only.

This is the answer i got from WD.

Dunno about diff in serial numbers to find the 2 platter 80BB though...

Ordered mine yesterday :)