Sign in to follow this  
Mercutio

WD *REALLY* needs to work on their pricing

Went in to pick up a couple WD800ABs for a project today. My distributor had both the AB and the BB in stock. And the BB was $11 cheaper!

The same trend happens all the way through their lineup. Check prices on Pricewatch and you'll see that either the 5400rpm version of the drive is the same price or more expensive than the 7200rpm.

... until we get to the WD1200AB. There, Maxtor's 540X and IBM's 120GXP (suspect performance champion that it is) are both on the order of $20 less expensive.

Where's the incentive to purchase WD's 5400rpm drives? I mean, besides the fact that they're "performance champs" in the 5400rpm arena - which is a bit like having the fastest moped (and mostly just as fast as Seagate's 7200rpm drive as well), someone judging drives on the basis of price, without an arbitor like SR or SR's forums, might conclude that the AB models are superior.

Perhaps supply-and-demand? That'd be odd for a 5400 rpm drive to cost more than a comparable capacity 7200 rpm drive. Are they the same areal density?

Odd. Really odd.

But then again, to play devil's advocate, why wouldn't WD want to charge as much as they could for their drives? If people pay for it, they'll charge it. Likewise, if people refuse to buy it, the price will drop. Fierce competition normally prevents much of a price differential between the various drive offerings.

WD600AB v BB = same price

WD800AB v BB = BB considerably cheaper

WD1200AB v BB = BB more expensive than AB, but the AB is more expensive than everything else in the same capacity.

I recommend and buy WD 5400rpm drives as low-noise, low-heat, high-reliability products. The 7200s don't do much for me. The 800BBs I bought today are hot and loud (and going back to my distributor tomorrow) and I haven't been terribly impressed by 400BBs or 600BBs either.

(crapshoot)

Hmm.. maybe they're trying to stop people who don't know from buying 5400rpm drives. Truth is, alot of people buy the hard drive as an afterthought with little regard to performance. We've all seen enough systems with an underspecced hard drive in respect to the other components so maybe this is WDs way of telling people to stop buying them :wink:

Nah, seriously, very strange.

I recently bought two 1200ab drives and they are damn fast!

Here in norway are the wd drives at the same price as ibm, maxtor and seagate. And the 5400 rpm drives are around 20$ cheaper than their 7200 rpm brothers.

I got these results with the 1200 ab drive:

(hdtach 2.61)

transfer rate beginning: 42 000

end: 28 000

Average: 34 000

Seek: 14,2

Burst: 72

cpu: 11%

The system I testet with:

Athlon 1000 mhz (200 mhz bus)

Asus a7v-133-c

256 mb ram

new winxp install

Knut,

I'm very curious about the WD1200AB (because here, it is a lot cheaper than the WD1200BB). Could you run the Disk Inspection test of Winbench on your drive (it's quite time consuming, I warn you)? I trust Winbench a lot more than HDTach.

You can download Winbench 99 2.0 from here (get the version without the graphic benchmarks).

Thank you very much.

Well lets see here.

Winbench 99 ver.2

Business disk winmark: 4160

high-end disk winmark: 11 600

Disk transfer rate:

beginning: 42 100

End: 24 800

Disk access time: 14,1

CPU disk utilitation: 2,35

Do you want more results?

The drive is filled up with around 35gb of data, and are on the same ide channel as a ibm 45gb 75gxp drive (still living after 1,5 years).

I moved 35gb data and defragmentated the drive and got these results:

Business disk winmark 4190

High-end disk winmark 12300

The drive is formatted in ntfs. (and now around 3 gb used)

Thanks a lot! Your results are very helpful.

Now a few comparisons :

WD800AB: (StorageReview.com results)

Disk transfer rate - Beginning: 42,0MBps

Disk transfer rate - End: 24,5MBps

Disk access time: 14,1ms (read)

WD1200AB:

Disk transfer rate - Beginning: 42,1MBps

Disk transfer rate - End: 24,8MBps

Disk access time: 14,1ms

Of course, the test systems were different, but it should give a good idea nonetheless. They appear to be the same drive, despite the fact that Western Digital show a higher Disk to Buffer transfer rate in their spec sheet.