Sign in to follow this  
alike

(0B) Calibration Retry Count warning in S.M.A.R.T.

I've written to Seagate support about this, but still no anwer from them, so I've decided that somebody here can help me. I've just bought a new Seagate Backup Plus Portable 1TB drive and when looking at the SMART attributes, there was a warning about the "Calibration Retry Count", value=3.

post-95774-0-72936700-1375775341_thumb.p

Could somebody explain what exactly does that stand for? I've noticed that only HDTune (tried it on ver. 5.0 and ver. 5.5) reported that as a warning. Other programs (like HDDScan, CrystalDiskInfo, AIDA64) say the value is normal and there is no warning. Here is a screenshot from HDDScan for example:

post-95774-0-74652600-1375775234_thumb.j

Should I try to rma the drive? I've tested it with HDDScan surface test and Seagate Seatools and it didn't report any errors, but I'm still a little bit concerned with that "Calibration Retry Count" warning.

Thanks in advance

This is the warning description:

This attribute indicates the number of times recalibration was requested (under the condition that the first attempt was unsuccessful). A decrease of this attribute value is a sign of problems in the hard disk mechanical subsystem.

If its a new drive and within the return window I'd probably exchange it. Otherwise its really hard to say if it will cause any meaningful problems or not.

Got an answer from Seagate support, which said that "The (0B) Calibration retry count - Data:3 message you received may indicate an issue with the drive..." and recommended testing the drive with Seatools (which I actually did and didn't find any problems). So, I guess I'll keep the drive and just check the "Calibration retry count" (and other SMART attributes) for any changes.

Interestingly though, a friend of mine happens to have the same drive (4 months old) and the situation with his is similar - "(0B) Calibration retry count - Data:4".

Edited by alike