Sign in to follow this  
Davin

Critique My Resume

I joined SR just a few months ago, in November. This site is the only that I have been to besides Ace's Hardware and Ars that has knowledgeable, intelligent people in the forums rather than a morass of mudslinging.

This is one of those times that I wish I were wealthy so that I could make a huge donation, but then that's probably why I am not wealthy. :?

I can't help but to hope that when the economic climate turns around (and it will, it runs in cycles just like a CPU) that SR can return, but that is probably not a realistic expectation.

Just wanted to let you know that since I've joined the forums here, I have purchased all hard drives and cabling through your sponsor, Hypermicro, and will continue to do so, even without a banner. ;-)

I can only hope that we don't lose Anandtech and the remaining (4?) good hardware sites, lest the world will surely end. I'll miss this site and do greatly appreciate the hard work and time and money and sacrificesa made and put into this site to provide a truly useful, excellent service for the site.

Reality can be such a bummer.

Charles Burns

HOLY COW!

My only daily stop on the web is disappearing?

I don't know a thing about web hosting, web page development, servers, bandwidth, etc., but I'd love to help anyone who takes over the reins of this operation in any way I could.

The information presented here is just too valuable to lose!

Man it is sad to see this site go down the crapper. It was one of my favorite if not the favorite site I visited. It peaked my interest in computers and started an interest in storage, SCSI, and the state of the art drives no OEM builds into their machines. When I wasn't learning from SR articles I was learning in the forums. Eugene and Davin built a great website, there is no doubt about that. It changed the way some reviews were made, helped manufacturers learn what people wanted, and showed the public which drives performed the best. It's a shame to see it go and it's a shame to see such expressions of attitude and egoism reminiscent of the "other" section of the past.

Whatever the reasons for closing down Storage Review, it'll be a painful loss to me.

Chris, get lost you racist pig.

When a few of the regulars left after the loss of the database i was already a bit worried about SR's future and decided not to add any comment from my part. I was still hoping the adventure would go on though. I already found it quite difficult to begin everything again from scratch once; it's a terrible thing to bear twice. Don't get me wrong but i prefer a quick and clean end rather being let down again one year later.

It's going to be a terrible loss. I don't think i will go to a different place or at least not for the time being. It will never be the same again. I will particularly regret the loss of this community.

Jason, Davin,

If there is any interest in keeping SR alive I would love to be a part of it. I own a colocation facility in Orlando. I live very close to disney and Eugene knows me. I would realy hate to see SR die and am willing to do anything I can to help.

Is this something that is a serious option?? Jason, Do you realize how much $$ is involved here? Davin, are you and Eugene willing to let SR go to other hands?? If so, and someone was willing to put the effort in would you two be willing to help them, or want to distance yourself from SR??

Jason, if you are serious, and if Eugene and Davin like the idea I would love to be part of it. I can offer a lot in expiriance and facilities.

Whats the deal guys?? Can this work?? Is anyone willing to give it a shot??

James Ashton

I'm willing to give it a shot. In fact, a couple of years ago, I used to aspire to one day be a reviewer for SR. 8)

Im sorry to see u go.I may not of been heavily active in the forums but this was where i came for my hdd expertise and advice and to find out exactly what hdd to buy.Youll be missed....

Thanx for the fun... :cry:

Whatever the reasons for closing down Storage Review, it'll be a painful loss to me.

Chris, get lost you racist pig.

It's pretty clear you don't understand me or my participation in this site since its inception. I forgive you your opinion of me. For those reading this who do not understand the history here (and never will because the old forums are lost forever), rest assured I'm not any more racist than the average person, and probably less so than our self-righteous monarchy-worshipping friend here.

Sorry to hear that SR is going down... I certainly hope your new careers will lead you to a path of prosperity and happiness.

another note, I just registered today (having been a reader for many years).

And I've always wanted to say this. There is this person who goes by the name of "Chris". This guys chatter tells me his is just material, egotistical, biased towards his own reasoning, and certain cocky. His own reasoning appears to justify his sense of rightenousness. And he uses his material accomplishments as means of justifying his words.

He thinks he's good, and I'm sure he is good with what he has set as his goals (his confident writing style tells me). But I don't think Chris has any place on this topic, he lacks sympathy and understanding towards what others have, and this topic definately is not where Chris belongs. I don't care if he offers you a job, but to have someone like that talk to you ... Chris... you are a disgrace. I don't care if you support the worlds economy with your power. You're attitude reminded me how I once was, it would rub off on people, it would annoy others, it seems to lurk out the innocent, it would infringe on the people who have warm hearts... you are nothing but an annoying maggot, STFU.

Chris is a nice guy, stop bashing him. He lacks talent to show it, but he's a nice guy nonetheless.

We have to find either a way to save SR or another place to regroup the community. Too bad SR is shuting down now. If you would have been able to wait just 7-9 months, I could have help (financial + material + spare time) to carry on. But now...nope.

...I just registered today (having been a reader for many years). And I've always wanted to say this. There is this person who goes by the name of "Chris".  This guys chatter tells me his is just material, egotistical, biased towards his own reasoning, and certain cocky.  His own reasoning appears to justify his sense of rightenousness.  And he uses his material accomplishments as means of justifying his words.
Let me get this straight, you've been lurking in this forum for years and have been annoyed by posts by "Chris". First of all, if I bothered you so much for years and you waited this long to say anything, I have to conclude you're a total pussy. Secondly, since I only registered this 'nick about a week ago, I really don't see how any of this is possible.
He thinks he's good, and I'm sure he is good with what he has set as his goals (his confident writing style tells me).  But I don't think Chris has any place on this topic, he lacks sympathy and understanding towards what others have, and this topic definately is not where Chris belongs.  I don't care if he offers you a job, but to have someone like that talk to you ... Chris... you are a disgrace.  I don't care if you support the worlds economy with your power.  You're attitude reminded me how I once was, it would rub off on people, it would annoy others, it seems to lurk out the innocent, it would infringe on the people who have warm hearts...  you are nothing but an annoying maggot, STFU.
"Lurk out the innocent"..... WTF does that mean?????. It's a good thing you've kept your trap shut over the years. You don't make a damn bit of sense.

Chris is a nice guy, stop bashing him.  He lacks talent to show it, but he's a nice guy nonetheless.
Thanks for the vote of confidence 'Coug. It's amazing how people will jump on a bashing bandwagon without knowing the whole story.

Is this something that is a serious option?? Jason, Do you realize how much $$ is involved here?

I ran a web site development company for two years, I've sold, managed, and helped develop dozens of web sites, I've got a reasonably good idea... :)

For this, it actually isn't as much as you might think... A few thousand up front, a thousand a month until it gets moved, perhaps a few thousand more to Davin and Eugene... Depends on the terms of the deal, but I'm not expecting it to cost $500, if that is what you're asking about... :)

Davin, are you and Eugene willing to let SR go to other hands?? If so, and someone was willing to put the effort in would you two be willing to help them, or want to distance yourself from SR??

I haven't gotten a reply from Davin yet... I'm just waiting to hear back from him as to his interest level...

Jason

I haven't posted much in the forums here, but I do visit the site often and have done so for a long time. This is/was one of the truly excellent hardware sites on the net.

This is my absolute primary source for storage reviews and information. I don't know if any other site that comes even close!

This really does suck :(

It doesn't surprise however. Running a site like this and keeping it updated, etc., costs a lot of money. A lot more than ads can pay. Let's face it - the net is changing and more and more of the free stuff will become "for pay" stuff. Ars Technica kind of started that with their subscriptions and I believe that is only the start.

I would be happy to pay to be able to access a site that provides a lot of quality stuff like this site. I actually believe micropayments could work - like if I wanted to read your review of the Seagate Barracuda IV, then I would pay a small amount to do so. You have put a lot of work in making that review - it's only fair that you get something in return.

Otherwise, if this trend continues, only the really big sites will be left soon :(

It's going to be a terrible loss. I don't think i will go to a different place or at least not for the time being. It will never be the same again. I will particularly regret the loss of this community.

Same here. It sucks this place is closing down, its the only forum I regularly hang around in.

What I would like to do (assuming you are going to take all of SR down) is keep an online record of the reviews on my unlimited bandwidth webspace. Would that be possible? I could also set up a forum on there but I doubt it would be of much use :(

I will miss those little historical background info write-ups at the beginning of each hard drive review.

I'm going to go against the common sentiment here. I'm HAPPY that SR is closing down. Eugene and Davin have long deserved much better than this. They will now go out there and make the money that they are worth. Go get 'em champ! Or, if you prefer, go get 'em tiger! C'mon slugger! Kiddos, you will be successful! In the future, I'm certain that the news trickled down to me from up there will be good news.

I am truly sorry to hear that SR is going down. This is a huge loss. I can't think of one web site with anywhere close to the methodology needed to provide storage reviews of the same caliber. I didn't realize how bad things really were. However, I am merely a college student, and would have been able to provide meager finacial support had I realized the severity of the situation.

And Chris... This is niether the time nor the place for bickering. Let bygones be bygones. I can't imagine you'd spend such a considerable amount of time here unless you found the information worthwhile. Let's all try to focus on that.

Best wishes Davin and Eugene.

I wish there were something--nay, anything--that could be done.[/b]

Chris: You're a piece of trash. I hope you haven't already reproduced and never do. Even though you've been a huge ass, you haven't been banned. Get the happy fellow out of this country, unless you respect military personal or defend this country.

Chris: You're a piece of trash. I hope you haven't already reproduced and never do.

I gotta admit, Doom5 has a point. And SC, you are the definition of 'racist'. Yeah yeah, you keep pointing out the varied nations of the people working under you, even as you are emphasizing the fact that they work under you (it's clearly where you think they should be) and that is a form of racism. True, its not blatant redneck racism, but it's that understated type that's far more damaging. stinker, you even went so far as to push your stinker on your girlfriend.... I can't even imagine what she must have felt like.........

I won't speak for Eugene, but I can say that personally I'm not very enthusiastic about turning over the reigns of SR to anyone. SR is far more than just a collection of files on a server. This place has deeper value that transcends mere economics. Even if we were to be handsomely bought out, Eugene and I would cringe and wince over every change to our beloved site. It would be hard as hell to see SR carried on without us prominently in the mix. The way I see it, there are only a handful of favorable outcomes. The most likely outcome is the complete dissipation of SR. Other favorable outcomes would be fat research grants or being bought out by a large company who would then hire Eugene and I to carry on what we started 4 years ago. I would be naive to think that the latter two are real possibilities.

Doom5: lay off Chris. He is not perfect, but he is not all that bad.

hmmm: it seems he has already let bygones be bygones, if you read this entire thread.

I am sad to see storagereview.com end its days. The forum is one of the best techie ones on the internet - maybe even the best, but that is not why I will be so sad.

Storagereview has always stood for integrity, accuracy and thoroughness, it is fast and free and the ads are unobtrusive. It is everything that a review site should be, in an ideal world, and yet it is dying. The internet's signal to noise ratio is just about to get worse - if storagereview.com cannot stay in business, I have little hope for the internet as a whole.

:(

I would be naive to think that the latter two are real possibilities.

Are you trying for them? They might be faint hopes, but if you are not contacting suitable research institutions/large companies, then they are not even hopes.

Are you trying for them?  They might be faint hopes, but if you are not contacting suitable research institutions/large companies, then they are not even hopes.

I'm concentrating on getting a new career which is a lot more likely than having a large company throw charity our way. It's time to cut losses and move on. Time is short and bills are due.

I won't speak for Eugene, but I can say that personally I'm not very enthusiastic about turning over the reigns of SR to anyone. SR is far more than just a collection of files on a server. This place has deeper value that transcends mere economics.

Davin, Eugene,

First, thank you for your personal sacrifices and your contributions to the tech world over the past 4 or 5 years. Your site has been the definitive source of objective information on [pro|con]sumer storage and invaluable to tens of thousands of people.

I understand your reluctance to hand over your "baby" to another party to mess with. But please consider how much some people rely on your reviews and databases to make informed decisions. If you simply turn off your servers and wipe the disks, you'll not only be robbing the community of a critical body of information but also cheating yourselves out of lasting recognition for your hard work.

You're right. This place does have deeper value that economics. But by not giving another custodian a chance to continue with your work, you're letting your economic position destroy that value. Please, don't be selfish with this wonderful space that you have built.