meridiusuk

Replacing Samsung F3 1TB with better performance drive but which one h

5 posts in this topic

Hi all

I have had 2 samsung f3 1TB drives for a few years and I was wanting to replace them with much better drives.

I want better transfers and speed as I will be buying 2 drives. I had a SSD for my boot drive but the samsungs seem slow when unpacking and moving files about from drive to drive and wanted something much better if poss.

what would be better than these drives

thanks

Any modern 7200RPM drive 2TB and above will be faster, especially for streaming data. Latest gen WD Velociraptors are the fastest you'll get without going totally SSD.

Any modern 7200RPM drive 2TB and above will be faster, especially for streaming data. Latest gen WD Velociraptors are the fastest you'll get without going totally SSD.

thanks

what about 5400rpm drives in the 2tb range would they be better than a 7200rpm drive at 1tb ?

They'd probably be roughly equivalent. Another option is to stripe two drives, but make sure you have backups.

The F3 1 TB has 2 500 GB platters at 7.2k rpm, right? As FastMHZ said, a 5.4k rpm drive won't be able to significantly beat this performance even at 1 TB density. Modern 7.2k rpm drives are faster with 1 TB platters.. but I'm not sure it will already be "noticably faster". If you need higher capacity then go for it. Otherwise I'm not sure it's going to be worth it.

MrS