Dave A

RAID 50 Configuration Advice

2 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I'm a RAID novice so please bear with me...

I have some very specific constraints.

I have an HP DL360 with 10 1.2 TB 10K disks - the max this box will take. I need RAID and I need around 9TB useable. The workload is predominantly large sequential write and random read. I'd like to reserve a drive for OS and swap. I'm looking to get the best balance of read/write performance.

My thought therefore is to use RAID 5+0. I am thinking of 3 RAID 5 sets of 3 disks each, then stripped. Is there a better configuration given the above constraints?

This box comes with these controllers as standard:

HP Smart Array P420i/1GB with FBWC (RAID 0/1/1+0/5/5+0)

HP Smart Array P420i/2GB with FBWC (RAID 0/1/1+0/5/5+0)

HP Smart Array P420i/1GB FBWC (RAID 0/1/1+0/5/5+0)

I'm assuming the 2Gb version is best to help mitigate the write penalty. Any comments on controllers would be welcome.

Thanks!

Dave

Three independent RAID5's would work if the box has three independent controllers in it for optimal performance...

If you're only going to have a single controller then that might not work so well. Ten 1.2TB disks and a need for 9TB usable in RAID is going to be tough tho (especially if you reserve one drive for OS), since losing even a single disk in that scenario leaves you extremely vulnerable to an additional disk failure during rebuild.