Sign in to follow this  
warmonger

? about reliability

About a year ago I bought a 7200rpm WD600BB from a local retailer. Performance was good, it was quiet, I was happy. Not too long after I had the drive (a month or so) I heard a clicking sound from the drive. I dismissed it, and the drive kept working. Eventually, the clicking got worse and worse, and two months ago the drive failed. I got it RMA'd and got the replacement drive, and the FIRST DAY that I put it in, I heard the clicking. Now the drive has completely failed. Now my question: Have any of you had problems with either this particular model or any other Western Digital drives? I might RMA again on this, but if it is known to be a bad drive, I'll be more than happy to switch to a better brand.

Good luck finding one. The recent WDs have been very good. Not perfect, but close.

45 out of many, many thousands? That's a very low number.

A quick read of that thread doesn't exactly fill one with confidence about the knowledge and technical abilities of the posters.

Considering the thread is on a forum dedicated to WD drives, it's not surprisingly most of the responses are going to be about failed WD drives. Now, if the same happened on a forum that wasn't vendor-specific, I'd give it more weight.

And to answer your original question, no, I have not had any problems with my WD drives, or with any of my drives, regardless of vendor. I have also not heard of unusually high failure rates for WD drives, at least not of the recent vintage products.

I thought you might mention that. However, how many people would actually register just to bitch about the problem?

Anyway, my guess is that the replacement I got was someone else's RMA'd drive. I really didn't think there was much of a problem with the line, or else I'd hear about it. Here's hoping my next RMA will go more smoothly.