Moe29

RAID setup for 36 drives on SMC2108 / LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i

Hello All

I'm working on a new setup for a NAS server

The server chassis is a Supermicro 36 Bay Superserver, with SMC2108 (LSI 9260-8i) with the 36 drives ( 4TB st4000dm001 seagate ) connected to it

Running CentOS 5.4 for compatibility with some needed application on the server

File transfer would mainly be over NFS ( from Linux and OS X clients ) , files are mainly media file, ranging from 5MB - 200GB

The plan is to use RAID6 for all the RAID groups to make 1 big volume

I'm debating on how to organize/split the RAID groups to form the volume

Below are some configurations I'm considering, each seems to have some advantages

1- 2 x 18 drive RAID6 groups in the MegaRAID, then create the volume via software in the OS ( Considerable Redundancy )

2- 1 x 36 drives RAID60 ( two groups of 18 drives ) in MegaRAID ( for OS independence in case of an OS issue )

3- 4 x 9 drives RAID6 groups, volume created in the OS ( for more redundancy and faster rebuilds )

What do you thin about this plan, anything that we might have missed ?

Opinions / advices are appreciated

Thanks

1- 2 x 18 drive RAID6 groups in the MegaRAID, then create the volume via software in the OS ( Considerable Redundancy )

2- 1 x 36 drives RAID60 ( two groups of 18 drives ) in MegaRAID ( for OS independence in case of an OS issue )

3- 4 x 9 drives RAID6 groups, volume created in the OS ( for more redundancy and faster rebuilds )

What do you thin about this plan, anything that we might have missed ?

I would say your "2" choice is mine...but I would take care of using an "optimized" stripe size. I think most io size from VMs are 64Kb but if you have a database system or any app issuing updates on small io, please choose another storage target like raid 10