Sign in to follow this  
Flintz

XP backup program?

Does anybody know a good backup programm for WinXP (Professional) which backups really only the most important files? I know WinXP Prof. has a backup tool, but somehow I don't like it....

xcopy and xcopy32 should not be trusted with long file names

IIRC there is a special version of xcopy of xcopy (xxcopy?) which keeps all file names. Don't know if it works with XP though.

Do you need to back up a lot? (MM, GB, ...)

I am not sure which are the most important files under XP, but I guess I only need the registry, user datas and some config files, so it should be MBs...

Second Copy is the best Windows backup program that I have found. It is extremely granular, very functional and very easy to use. Depending on what you want to do, it may or may not do the job.

It is very good at running schedeluded backups. I use it to backup documents from a laptop to a NAS device.

Regards,

Yuyo

I'm testing NTI Backup Now!

Do you guys know if this program can be used to restore from a disaster in XP pro?

The program has a Recovery diskette and CDrom option to restore from a disaster, but I haven't tested how good it works.

I'll backup to hard drives in a second computer. This computers are networked with a crossover cable.

Secon Copy looks really nice, but as far as I can see it has no preinstalled profiles....now it would be nice if someone of you guys could give a list of the most important files to backup in WinXP Prof. because I obviously don't want to backup my whole XP directory :?

I was thinking the samething, because I'd like to backup to CDRW, but who wants to backup 5 ~ 10GB of info using CDRWs?

I guess there has to be a way of backup only the main files just like what XP does with the Restore Points.

I tried WinXPRescue....and this program made a backup of these files:

boot.ini

WINDOWSsystem.ini

WINDOWSsystem32AUTOEXEC.NT

WINDOWSsystem32cmd.exe

WINDOWSsystem32command.com

WINDOWSsystem32CONFIG.NT

WINDOWSwin.ini

so, I entered them in Second Copy and added two files which I think are also very important:

WINDOWSsystem32configsoftware

WINDOWSsystem32configsystem

BUT this files are in use by WinXP so Second Copy can't copy them....(the "try to copy..." function doesn't work)

Is there somehow a way to tell Secon Copy to copy them, or do I have to backup them while WinXP is booting/shutting down....and if so, how do I do that?

I guess there is no way of backing up a system 100% safe when you get a severe crash. Once this darn XP goes down there is no way to bring it back. I just use Ghost and get it to my main setup. Those little backup programs don't work. I was testing "Backup Now" but I couldn't even get a startup disk to get the system back to where "backup now" would restore. Sometimes XP gets so bad when crashes that even the hard drives connected to the same computer get corrupted and it is a big pain to make it work again even with an image of ghost in your hands.

I was testing a tape drive (dds2) with xp the other day and was suprised by how well it worked with xp. Iam now bidding for some on ebay. I intend to put them in a usb 2.0 enclosure, and use them to xfer files...

Maybe it doesn't help, maybe it does....but anyway I want to have a backup of my registry, which is as far as I know located in

but as I wrote before these files are always in use by WinXP so Second Copy cant copy them....plz post any idea if u have one

Maybe it doesn't help, maybe it does....but anyway I want to have a backup of my registry, which is as far as I know located in 

but as I wrote before these files are always in use by WinXP so Second Copy cant copy them....plz post any idea if u have one

just use the windows backup (it comes with windows xp, but windows xp home doesnt install it by default, xp pro does. its on the CD rom if its not installed) its lookated in the menue

programs/accessories/system tools/ backup...

You can export your registry anywhere you want on your hard drive by typing Run, regedit, then export registry. Save the file somewhere and you can always import it if your registry is corrupted. Second copy is primarily a data backup utility, but not too good at system recovery.

I would image my hard drive with Instant Recovery http://www.no-panic.com/recovery/irecover.html. Instant recovery is very nice and runs from a CD. You also use Norton ghost to create an image of your system. I would do so once a month and then do hourly, daily or weekly backups of your data with Second Copy.

If you're REALLY serious about backups of your system, you should get a DDS tapedrive which is large enough for a full backup of your system and use real backup software like Backup Exec or Arcserve. With NT at least (and the right software) one can use the boot floppies and tape to do an immediate restoration after a total failure.

Anyone owns one of these Onstreams. Want to know how reliable it is? I saw two users say that it eats up the tape media, I see one for sale for $180. I need a tape drive, my sony superstation has obsolete drivers.

Thanks

I greatly dislike those Onstreams for the simple reason that they don't even remotely compare to a DDS. Capacity and low price is about the only thing going for them.