SR Writer

WD My Passport Ultra Review Discussion

6 posts in this topic

The WD My Passport Ultra is the newest iteration in the My Passport line that offers USB 3.0 connectivity, up to 2TB of storage, and it also includes software with drive tools and to enable local and cloud backups.

WD My Passport Ultra Review

1 person likes this

The WD My Passport Ultra is the newest iteration in the My Passport line that offers USB 3.0 connectivity, up to 2TB of storage, and it also includes software with drive tools and to enable local and cloud backups.

WD My Passport Ultra Review

So it's like My Passport for PC with some new software? I wish they start making aluminum enclosures, like for their MAC line

So it's like My Passport for PC with some new software? I wish they start making aluminum enclosures, like for their MAC line

i'm a PC user, and i bought the aluminium mybook studio 3TB on applestore. After NTFS, all is fine and works fine. No big deal it's ok, not a "mac-only" product, just a "design-mac-product".

i don't understand why the height is so high for this new model !

15mm for the 1TB is big in 2013 ! whaaaoooo !

Last month, i just purchase the Lian Li EX-10QB external case where i put in the Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB hard dive into. The whole is less high than 12mm. And it is 2011-2012 products years. Moreover, the box is in alum , not plastic !

post-73333-0-34660700-1378034958_thumb.j

So, why western digital my passport new product is so expansibe, so plastic, so high ?

I have a question, if i buy the 2TB mypassport ultra, will i get a for-life 2TB storage space in the cloud of WD ? or less space or each month pay ?

Edited by MichaelREMY

Probably because the drive height of the disk inside the enclosure. WD has historically used plastic for PC products because those users don't want to pay a premium for aluminum enclosures. That may change though. As to teh service and what they offer, really am not up to speed on that.

Looking at purchasing the WD My Passport Ultra but then read a review that said it doesn't work with Windows 8. Direct quote from review on Amazon.com "It runs the first backup fine, but then all incremental backups just don't work. The subsequent backups launch based on a schedule but then just run interminably without ever copying over the latest changes. This is the case for both backups to the Passport and to Dropbox."

Anyone have any insight, info, etc. on this?

The passport will work on windows 8 just fine. However, their backup software(SmartWare) may have issues with the newer operating system(if that review is accurate). Since it is a software issue and the software is available for other drives, it will likely get fixed.

If you really like the drive, there are also other software that can work for backups or you can even look at the Windows built-in backup.

Software from EaseUS or Aronis can also offer a potentially more comprehensive backup solution.