Sign in to follow this  
Alkali

High Quality Digital Video Suite suggestions needed

I am getting very interested by digital video and photography, and would like to know what the best ideas are out there for me :)

My budget is around £1000 in total.

My needs:

1. Digital camcorder for multiple uses including, family video and professional video.

2. Digital still capabilty either in the camcorder (but this would need to be very high quality - enough to look very crisp at 1280x1024), or as a seperate digital camera.

3. Computer connectivity - as far as I can tell getting a PCI Firewire card for my PC is the best idea for transfers.

4. PC programs - Adobe Premier I have heard to be very good, but I am looking for a relatively simple editor that can export movies as .mpeg or .mov.

I'm new to this field, so any suggestions about equipment or referalls of where to look for more info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in anticipation :)

Regards,

Tim

I just got started in DV. I bought the ADS Pyro ProDV Firewire PCI adapter card, which came bundled with a full version of Ulead Media Studio 6.0. Cost me $188.95. Media Studio is supposed to have less of a learning curve than Premiere. It's a nice program with plenty of power, and I'm getting the hang of it quickly. The latest version is 6.5, though.

I also bought a cheap ($22) Koutech Systems KW-582V2 Firewire card for my other computer. That comes bundled with Ulead Vidoe Studio 3.0, a much more barebones program, not nearly the power. Haven't checked it out yet.

For my own experience, a camcorder can not deliver high quality stills. Although the CCD basics are the same, they are designed for video or stills.

For professional video, you'll have to get a 3 CCD camcorder. They are over US$2000.

For stills, I have good experience with the Sony DSC-S75 and I am going to switch to the DSC-F707.

The DSC-F707 is a 5 Megapixel camera.

I've read that Nikon among other are OK.

As Geist3, I also have the Pyro card. If works fine and it is detected for Windows 2000 without ny aditional drivers.

For software, I tried Premiere, Ulead (wich came with my card) and Vegas Video.

At this moment, I prefer Vegas Video. It is very easy to use. Lets you change video parameters like color, contrast and audio filters while running the video. This is done without any speciall hardware (I hava a PIII 1 GHz with 512 MB RAM)

You can download the demo at www.sonicfoundry.com

For video editing, you'll need lot of harddisk space. One second of DV takes 3.7 MBs.

You mentioned £1000, but I have expended much more than that. THis hobby is expensive.

Check out www.videoguys.com for a lot of good info and a lot of prices on everything DV.

And yes, no digital video camera takes even semi-professional still IMHO. You need to have a digital camera for good stills.

The megapixel Sony cams take a decent still, but nothing compared to even a CHEAP 2.1mp digital camera.

id go with the ATI radeon 8500dv

the video card is very good all around and is cheap its got a firewire built in

but if your a hardcore might want to go with even a higer end that im not aware of that the professionals use

sony is very good but i question thier quality at times because they release out on camcorder after another..

cannon is good try them as well

side not plus 8500dv comes with a good software package along with Ulead..

but if you are really serious about this I wouldnt go with this card because its for avg people that do it for fun

For camcorders, check out the Sharp VL-WD450U it offers a great price, and the best optical zoom of any MiniDV I have seen in its price range.

Cnet Review

Many complain about the menu system, but I checked it out at bestBuy, and it was okay.

Best place for advice I've found is the forum oat dv.com. I've just jumped into DV with:

Matrox 2500 (includes Premiere, etc.)

Sony TRV30 (top-notch single CCD)

Everything seems to be working great, but the learning curve on Premiere is pretty steep.

May be more than you want to spend, but if you're doing this for a living.... Which I'm not.

No camcorder will give you the still results you want. I've got a 2.1 megapixel Canon, and am looking to upgrade after I get the hang of video (and Premiere!).

My budget is around £1000 in total.

I don't know exact pricing in England, but I can't purchase decent setup for less than $2500 to $3500 over here. You can play with digital photography, but video is expensive. Anything that is near professional quality is quite expensive.

Teo, that Sony DSC F707 you mentioned looks very nice...

I got a sample pic off sony's website, and it looks the business :)

Might well have to shell out for that one. :wink:

There are a dozen other cameras of equal or bnetter quality to the Sony. The only advantage of the Sony is the larger zoom lens. It's big and bulky IMHO, and it uses Son'y proprietary memory sticks which are more expensive than compact flash/smart media. I advise not buying a Sony for the memory stick issues alone.

if you end up with a Sony DV camera, than might I could with a Sony digital camera, becaue the memory stick can be used in the DV cam for quick and mediocre stills, but even then, I don't think it's necessarily worth having to buy into the proprietary Memory Stick. Maybe if you buy a few other Sony products that use memory stick (like MP3 player, etc) would it be a good idea to me.