Brian

Seagate Announces Availability of Desktop HDD 4TB Discusison

12 posts in this topic

Is it really a 7200 rpm drive? It has relatively slow linear transfer rates despite the high platter density, especially compared to the 3 TB Barracuda.

Is it really a 7200 rpm drive? It has relatively slow linear transfer rates despite the high platter density, especially compared to the 3 TB Barracuda.

The Cnet reports claims 5,900rpm. Makes sense given the slight performance dip. Interestingly, not even the Product Manual makes any mention of the spindle speeds. Such a secret nowadays? Why?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57577479-1/seagate-ships-4tb-desktop-hdd/

What's the reasoning behind hiding the rotational speed? You can hear it, you can measure it and you can ask the firmware using ATA-8 ACS.

2 year warranty. That.

the drive is an update on what was previously called the Seagate Barracuda.

... so what is the new name then?

2 year warranty. That.

... so what is the new name then?

"Desktop.15" , great hu?

What's the reasoning behind hiding the rotational speed? You can hear it, you can measure it and you can ask the firmware using ATA-8 ACS.

It's 5,900rpm for ST4000DM000 and ST3000DM003.

I suppose to avoid people mucking them for they short-sighted or stupid "one size fits all, we don't need lower rpm anymore" from.. well, almost just yesterday. Anyway, it's good to have options! And at 5.9k rpm they could surely go straight to 5 platters again.. :D

MrS

MrSpadge' timestamp='1365011850' post='279953']I suppose to avoid people mucking them for they short-sighted or stupid "one size fits all, we don't need lower rpm anymore" from.. well, almost just yesterday.

I remember. Maybe even the Seagate executives don't know about it: "Make us a cheap 4 TB drive with TB platters!" - "Sure, here it is, but with TB platters it only works at 5900 rpm." - "Then don't tell the boss about it!" :D

Average Latency: 5.1ms = ~5900RPM ,, 4.17ms = 7200RPM ,, 5.5ms=5400RPM so it's 5900RPM. I thought Seagate was abandoning 5900RPM 'green' drives because they didn't really save power because it took longer to do the same thing. Guess not

I thought Seagate was abandoning 5900RPM 'green' drives because they didn't really save power because it took longer to do the same thing. Guess not

Just a measurement of some drives:

Watts	rpm
4.8	5400	HD204UI
5	7200	HDS721010DLE630
5.1	5940	HDS5C3020ALA632
5.8	5900	ST2000DL003
6.4	5400	WD20EARS
6.5	7200	HD103SJ
6.7	7200	HDS723020BLA642
7.4	7200	WD10EALS

So it depends more on brand and drive configuration than on rpm. In my experience, drives from Samsung and Hitachi produce less heat than their counterparts from Seagate and WD.