jab8356

Dual boot (XP & 7) SSD TRIM question

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm new here so if this has been asked already, please forgive me. I did some looking around and didn't see what I'm looking for. I want to build a new machine with my first SSD. I would like to have 2 partitions on the SSD and put Windows XP on one partition and Windows 7 on the other. I know that TRIM is not built into XP, but it is in 7. The machine would be run in Windows 7 95% of the time. My question is would Windows 7 do TRIM on the XP partition when 7 is running? The drive I think I would like to buy is a Samsung 840 pro 256 GB. I know their magician software will maintain the drive in XP, but if 7 will do it while it is running, then I don't see the need to run magician. Thanks in advance!

TRIM is normally done after the OS permanently deletes a file, so Windows 7 won't send TRIM commands for files that were deleted under a different OS. You would still need to run the Magician software occasionally within XP.

Trying to install Windows 7 and XP on the same SSD sounds like a recipe for all sorts of problems with alignment (for XP), incompatible bootloaders, and corrupted file permissions if you try to share data between partitions. I think it would be much better to give the whole SSD to Win7 and install XP on a separate drive, and share data with a third drive. Better yet, use Virtualbox.

Edited by dietrc70

Trying to install Windows 7 and XP on the same SSD sounds like a recipe for all sorts of problems with alignment (for XP), incompatible bootloaders, and corrupted file permissions if you try to share data between partitions. I think it would be much better to give the whole SSD to Win7 and install XP on a separate drive, and share data with a third drive. Better yet, use Virtualbox.

I was planning on using the Windows 7 install DVD to partition the drive so it will be aligned properly and then install XP. Data will be on a separate HDD. Does this still sound like trouble?

I was planning on using the Windows 7 install DVD to partition the drive so it will be aligned properly and then install XP. Data will be on a separate HDD. Does this still sound like trouble?

There's a particular procedure you need to follow to get both Win 7 and XP to boot from the same HD. I can't remember it offhand, but you can probably find it easily if you search for it.

There's a particular procedure you need to follow to get both Win 7 and XP to boot from the same HD. I can't remember it offhand, but you can probably find it easily if you search for it.

I have done a dual boot with my current machine on a HDD. Install XP first on one partition and then 7 on the other. The Win 7 installer created a boot menu where I select which OS I want to boot into. I would imagine it is the same for an SSD except I have to use the Win 7 setup disc to partition the SSD first so it is aligned correctly.

I have both XP and W7 on my Samsung 840 Pro on my SSD. I just migrated the partitions from the hard disk to the SSD.

If you have boot problems on one of them, use EasyBCD. This is also a precious tool to have available when you want to multiboot and the Windows you install is a prior version to the one(s) already installed.

Since XP does not handle alignment, use Minitool Partition Wizard Home (it's free): it will align ANY partition already present! Please remember that all partitions on SSD should be aligned for performance reasons.

Edited by Gswiss

I have both XP and W7 on my Samsung 840 Pro on my SSD. I just migrated the partitions from the hard disk to the SSD.

If you have boot problems on one of them, use EasyBCD. This is also a precious tool to have available when you want to multiboot and the Windows you install is a prior version to the one(s) already installed. I used it quite often to install XP alongside pre-installed Vista, also W7 or XP alongside preinstalled W8 which is a dud (only 6-7% users worlwide after practically a year on the market). Thus, you can install XP alongside pre-installed W7. As mentioned somewhere above, google for the procedure which is simple. Otherwise, report back.

Since XP does not handle alignment, use Minitool Partition Wizard Home (it's free): it will align ANY partition already present! Please remember that all partitions on SSD should be aligned for performance reasons.

Edited by Gswiss

I used my Win 7 install disc to partition the drive into two partitions, then I installed XP on one and 7 on the other. I checked the alignment and it is good. I do use EasyBCD too. Thanks!