Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DanG

Replaced C partition on HDD with 256Gb Samsung SSD 840 Pro. Next step?

3 posts in this topic

The transition seems to have been successful. I used the Samsung data migration software to migrate the content of C over to the Samsung, which is temporarily lettered M. I made the necessary BIOS changes and am booting now from the Samsung 840 Pro, which is listed as the Active Primary.

Once I'm sure that the Samsung is functioning properly, I would like to delete the content of the old C HDD partition and merge that with D, which is on the same drive. Can I use EaseUS Partition Master (or similar software) to just convert the old C to a logical partition and give it a different letter name? I want to re-letter the Samsung as the new C.

TIA.

Edited by DanG

To force Windows to use the SSD as the new C, boot without any other drives connected. It should show as C.

To repartition the HDD, the only software I trust is GPartEd in Linux...download an Ubuntu Live CD and use GPartEd to delete the old C drive and stretch the old partition into the unused space. Do this with the SSD disconnected to avoid an accident :-)

To force Windows to use the SSD as the new C, boot without any other drives connected. It should show as C.

To repartition the HDD, the only software I trust is GPartEd in Linux...download an Ubuntu Live CD and use GPartEd to delete the old C drive and stretch the old partition into the unused space. Do this with the SSD disconnected to avoid an accident :-)

Thanks. I haven't used Ubuntu before, but will look into it.