Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
harddrivewd

what harddrives to pick

4 posts in this topic

Hello

Only until recently, I didn't know that harddrive has something more than just the term 'internal' and 'external'. I've encountered lots of difficult terms for me, like RAID, SSD, Green, Blue ....etc

But my aim is very simple and clear - I want to buy a harddisk (portable/external preferred) and I want to keep important and precious data inside for some years. Some people on forum say that even the famous Western Digital

has lots of harddrives problems so they are in fact unstable and unreliable.

what is RAID ? what is SSD?

Should I choose a "Green" harddrive or a "Blue" one?

is WD My Passport really that unreliable?

Thanks

I'd recommend an external enclosure with two drive in RAID1 if you're really concerned about data redundancy, then back that up to a cloud provider. Even better is perhaps a larger NAS with more drives, really depends on your budget.

I'd recommend an external enclosure with two drive in RAID1 if you're really concerned about data redundancy, then back that up to a cloud provider. Even better is perhaps a larger NAS with more drives, really depends on your budget.

hi i don't think i will use RAID because I now know that it's nothing about backup, it's just a case of emergency to reduce chances of failing both harddisk. Now I want to buy an external case with an internal harddisk. Can you suggest me whether 2T is better or 3T HDD is better? Of course 3T is better in terms of capacity but how about the architecture, the design of both discs? Please give any recommendation I urgently need a good harddisk to save and backup. Thanks

The easiest way to judge harddrive reliability is to look at the warranty. The drives with 5 year warranties are almost always the best.

I personally think the WD Black and RE are the most reliable SATA drives at the moment.

If you want to use an external enclosure, make sure it supports USB3 and is good quality. Icy Dock makes good ones, but there are many other options.