Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mit150

Help request for repairing Dell Virtual Disk

2 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone

I would be very grateful if a RAID expert on this forum could help me with something.

The Virtual Disk in the PowerEdge 1400SC server at my place of work has become "degraded". I think this is because one of the two physical disks has failed. I am the I.T. Manager here and it is my job to fix it but I know almost nothing about Dell Virtual Disks and how to use the BIOS configuration for the RAID controller. I am wanting to replace the failed drive with a new one and then "rebuild" the Virtual Disk. I am however terrified of doing the wrong thing and therefore permanently deleting the data on the server or making it inaccessible. For example, I can imagine that it might be possible to accidentally synchronise the physical disks in the wrong direction (copying the new blank disk to the disk with data on it).

I have looked at the official documentation for BIOS configuration for the RAID controller but I find it very difficult to understand and finding out how to do what I want to do is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I would therefore be very grateful if a RAID expert on this forum could give me an idiot-proof easy-to-understand set of instructions on how to replace the failed drive with a new one and "rebuild" the Virtual Disk using the BIOS configuration for the RAID controller.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Mit150