foolery

Is upgrading my Dell possible?

4 posts in this topic

Hi folks, and thanks for the forum. I have a Dell XPS 720 that is starting to show its age performance-wise (I do a lot of video editing which is demanding of processor and drives). I currently have four 1TB drives in my internal bays, all are SATA II connectors. My question is if I purchased an SSD to serve as my OS drive, will I be able to connect it (to the motherboard and power) using my current cabling? Do these function exactly like a "normal" hard drive (meaning will my BIOS recognize it, etc.)? If not, how much of a ha$$le is it getting this new technology to work with my older system? Thanks for the advice! Tom

As long as you are using ahci or Intel raid mode, and running Windows 7 or 8 you should have no problem with installing and running a SSD.

Yep. Also looks like the XPS 720 motherboard has 6 sata ports, so you should just need an extra sata cable(get them at monoprice or amazon).

If the PSU doesn't have have an extra sata power cable, see if you have an extra molex cable(4 pin) unused and get a female molex to sata cable.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps720/en/OM_EN/NP756A00.pdf

(page 89 shows the motherboard)