Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vushvush

Ultra Fast Real world RAID drive

7 posts in this topic

So this is a topic I would to start, in order to try and crack a problem I'm having, and hopefully help other people in the forum trying to accomplish this feat.

I'm looking to build a Windows Server (2008 or 2012) that will have a drive with a sequential throughput of 6 - 8 GBytes per second. I'm not talking about using IOMeter to benchmark the drives directly, but rather a real world example of a RAID 5 or 50 or 10 that can get those results through the file system. Currently it seems like I cannot really get passed the 4 GB/s mark.

I think it would carry some value if we could share information and see what the fastest drive that can be built using such real world scenarios.

Currently I have tried the latest round of PCI-E 3.0 controllers like the Areca 1882 (with v3.0 pcb), the LSI 9286 and the Adaptec 71605, all with fairly similar results.

Let's get this done!

6GB/sec on a single controller? Which drives/motherboard are you using?

6GB/sec on a single controller? Which drives/motherboard are you using?

I have tried the Areca 1882 (with v3.0 pcb), the LSI 9286 and the Adaptec 71605. I can max them out at about 3.5 GB/s. but I would really think they should be able to top that, as theoretical speeds of 4.8 GB/s per controller should be possible. I was then hoping to soft stripe the two drives, but that produces often slower results than either drive combined.

Have you looked into an SSD PCI-E drive? OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2. I don't know of a hardware RAID solution that will manage these. Windows software RAID is not optimized for speed...

All SSD PCI-E drives are still under 2 GB/s

Although they are usually working in perallel in costume situations (HPC/DB Servers/Etc').

My need is high throughput single volume storage.... tricky :)

All SSD PCI-E drives are still under 2 GB/s

Although they are usually working in perallel in costume situations (HPC/DB Servers/Etc').

My need is high throughput single volume storage.... tricky :)

Incorrect. http://www.fusionio.com/products/iodrive-octal/

Using Windows to RAID these might actually do what you need. RAID 10 of course.

I saw an article for a consumer PCI-E SSD that might better suit your $budget$.

OK the new Octal not withstanding as it's price is beyond enterprise levels :)

Everything else is still at 2 GB/s

I don't even know if I believe their 6 GB/s claim as it sits on PCI-E 2, which is capped at 4 GB/s anyway. So I think there is some fluff going on with their numbers.