Sign in to follow this  
norberto

Online shopping - the best and the worst

Hi,

I would like to start a discussion where we could share experiences on buying hardware on the net.

Which are the best and the worst site to buy all kinds of hardware?

The best where to buy in Europe/Americas/Asia/etc?

Hope this will be a useful source of information for all of us.

Best regards,

Norberto Henriques

http://www.newegg.com/ is one of the best online stores around...

Great service, and never a problem returning or exchanging anything. Quick shipment, good packaging, and they don't rip you off for shipping charges...

newegg may be great on selection.

but I can't wholly agree with the shipping comment.

I tried to price an chieftec/chenming/antec case with AMD approved power supply for XP1800+ and two case fans.

So I put item N82E16811125112 in.

So far $65 and $15 shipping, good deal.

Now try and add the case fans... add two case fans at $7 each with $6 shipping each.

Newegg at the very least is "truth in shipping". If they want to hose you, you can see it on the page with their other prices.

I like mwave.com as well. TCW is good. There are a number of small shops I've found through pricewatch that I'd have no problem dealing with again and again.

Between mwave and newegg I probably buy around $12,000 in parts a year. The worst problem I've had with either has more to do with time zones than anything else. Call either one and you'll talk to a human being in under five minutes, sales or service.

Newegg and mwave are some of the better merchants. For memory I usually go with crucial. Hypermicro seems to have great prices on anything SCSI, the Maxtor Atlas 10k III I ordered from them arrived without issues.

I often buy single parts from other places though, and haven't really had any problems yet, I guess I have been lucky. Resellerratings.com is great.

In England the best on product range and service are Dabs.com They are also good value for money and free shipping if you have orders >£74.

On cost they are beaten by Overclockers.co.uk who have just got the LOWEST in the uk. I have yet to find a place that has a consistently cheaper options. There product range is limited but as they stock really quality products (corsair XMS memory for instance) its not too much of a problem.

Ebuyer.com is really annoying as they don't show VAT and aren't too cheap when you put it all together. Simply and Microwarehouse have good range but are nothing special and sometimes pricy.

For consumables (ink cartidges) then MX2.com are unbeatable. They have everything from original manufacturer cartidges to seriously cheap third party cartidges. As they ship from the channel islands you don't even pay VAT!!!!!!

regards,

McEwin

I too like both Newegg and Mwave for online orders. I also like Newegg and their generally cheap Fedex shipping although I did once buy a case from them and added a couple of fans which ended up adding almost the price of each fan in additional shipping charges.

It seems too me that these two online stores have more or less the same web page/layout. Are they related to each other in some way or is it just me.

www.axiontech.com

They dont always have the 'best' prices but theyre reliability and emphasis on customer satisfaction is #1 in my book...

McEwin, I think you'll find that www.komplett.co.uk is quite a bit cheaper and charges a flat fee of £3.50 for postage. Which is pretty good considering the stock is actually located in Norway and is sent by DHL to arrive the same time as it would had the stuff been sent to UK. I also find their customer service is head and shoulders above Dabs'. OcUK shipping was a rip off last time I looked, charging 7 pounds regardless for Securicor delivery.

MRG = mc2, You must work for www.komplett.co.uk cause that isn't entirely true. They are mostly £2-£4 more expensive than overclockers although they have the edge in certain stock. They are certainly better than dabs.com.

Okay, admittably the delivery is expensive if you are only buying one cheap item but you do make it back if are buying several components.

They would certainly be better for solitary purchases. I will consider them in the future, thanks.

Commision earned :)

McEwin.

Have had great luck buying from NewEgg and Googlegear. Have found Mwave to be a little slow to ship and high on shipping costs.

On East Coast have always had great success with Essential Computer in New York (essencompu.com) as they are very price competitive and do most things FedEx 2nd Day for $12.00

On West Cost Royal PC (goroyalpc.com)has good prices and decent shipping on items they stock.

In England the best on product range and service are Dabs.com  They are also good value for money and free shipping if you have orders >£74. 

On cost they are beaten by Overclockers.co.uk who have just got the LOWEST in the uk.  I have yet to find a place that has a consistently cheaper options.  There product range is limited but as they stock really quality products (corsair XMS memory for instance) its not too much of a problem.

Ebuyer.com is really annoying as they don't show VAT and aren't too cheap when you put it all together.  Simply and Microwarehouse have good range but are nothing special and sometimes pricy.

For consumables (ink cartidges) then MX2.com are unbeatable.  They have everything from original manufacturer cartidges to seriously cheap third party cartidges.  As they ship from the channel islands you don't even pay VAT!!!!!!

regards,

McEwin

www.overclockers.co.uk seem to have very good prices in certain pc components.They aint the cheapest ones though charging £8 for delivery.

www.aria.co.uk

www.microdirect.co.uk

are some of the cheapest ones...but it always depends on what you are looking for.ie i got a macron 400W psu for £40 from a certain site when in overclockers.co.uk costs arround £60+ so you need to search always for what you are looking for in specific sites.But in loadsa products OCUK is one of the cheapest ones:).

MRG = mc2, You must work for www.komplett.co.uk cause that isn't entirely true.  They are mostly £2-£4 more expensive than overclockers although they have the edge in certain stock.  They are certainly better than dabs.com.

Okay, admittably the delivery is expensive if you are only buying one cheap item but you do make it back if are buying several components.

They would certainly be better for solitary purchases.  I will consider them in the future, thanks.

Commision earned :)

McEwin.

ehehe, nah, I'm still a student. Do nothing all day :P Last time I bought from them was about 4 months ago so maybe things have changed, but I do know my XP1800 and Asus A7V266E was cheaper from them than OcUK and Dabs at the time.

I've had good luck with Mwave and newegg. I'd also like to throw a shout in for 1coolpc.com, they've been more then fair to me, and I would buy from them again.

I've also ordered from crucial.com a handful of times without a problem.

brwmogazos wrote:

www.overclockers.co.uk seem to have very good prices in certain pc components.They aint the cheapest ones though charging £8 for delivery.

Errrrr, Aria.co.uk charge £8.17 for delivery (6.95+VAT) so their not cheap either!

And you can't buy online with MicroDirect.co.uk so that really isn't an "online store" at all.

Good point about shopping arround. But there are certain sites you bother with and some you don't...

I am speccing out a PC for my father and I found the cheapest combination is dabs.com (for big things like monitor or scanner and unusual components) and Overclockers for most of the components. If you buy from too many different stores you end up loosing out due to all those delivery charges.

McEwin.