Sign in to follow this  
paddyb

Clarification of SATA version

I'm thinking of upgrading to an SSD, but i'm having trouble acertaining whether mu mobo is SATA I, II or III, which will obviously have a bearing on the maximum transfer rate I will get out of the drive.

It s Dell motherboard: 054KM3

And I understand that the SATA Ports are:

"Revision 1.1 specifications of the extensions to SATA 1.0a"

I think this is SATA II 3.0Gbits/s

Could somebody confirm please?

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/vos430/en/SM/specs.htm

Specification page of the Vostro 430(054KM3) says it is a SATA 2 board. You might be able to confirm with SiSandra or Hwinfo32(tells hardware information). The mobo/computer is from 2009/2010, so it makes sense

I would still get a SATA III SSD as they should have very similar pricing. Right now, the cheapest 128GB SSD on Newegg is a SATA III drive(though just a few dollars cheaper than a budget SATA II ssd).

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/vos430/en/SM/specs.htm

Specification page of the Vostro 430(054KM3) says it is a SATA 2 board. You might be able to confirm with SiSandra or Hwinfo32(tells hardware information). The mobo/computer is from 2009/2010, so it makes sense

I would still get a SATA III SSD as they should have very similar pricing. Right now, the cheapest 128GB SSD on Newegg is a SATA III drive(though just a few dollars cheaper than a budget SATA II ssd).

Great, many thanks.

I'm thinking of upgrading to an SSD, but i'm having trouble acertaining whether mu mobo is SATA I, II or III, which will obviously have a bearing on the maximum transfer rate I will get out of the drive.

It s Dell motherboard: 054KM3

And I understand that the SATA Ports are:

"Revision 1.1 specifications of the extensions to SATA 1.0a"

I think this is SATA II 3.0Gbits/s

Could somebody confirm please?

FYI - You typically will probably only see 1/2-2/3rds the advertised SSD performance when a SATA III SSD is used on a SATA II port. I'd suggest reading the SSD warranty at the SSD maker's website so that you know the realities before buying as the warranties vary considerably as does the reliability, compatibility, etc.