dlf

A good strong multipurpose system (part 2)

I'm back. I almost have enough to get the rig I want, but I want to be absolutely sure I'm getting good bang for what I want and not getting bad parts.

Purpose of System: Gaming, browsing internet, watching videos. But mostly for gaming. I may want to do folding@home

GPU Setting: Quite high, if not ultra

Budget: @ Around $1000 - $1300 (or so)

Reuseable parts: Can't, see below (current specs) as to why

Overclocking: No.

Monitor: Currently 1680 x 1050 (22 Inches) - I eventually want HD (Between 23 - 27 inches)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($184.01 @ Microcenter)

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($202.82 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($97.41 @ Amazon)

Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.88 @ Newegg)

Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($198.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($132.36 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($140.71 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($18.39 @ Newegg)

Total: $1159.76

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-07 20:25 EST-0500)

*Note I will be eventually replacing the 7770 with something like the 7970, but I really just want to build the bloody system. I can change one part later.

Current specs:

Case: No idea (although it is a HP slimline, gray) - that should give some idea of the sort of case.

Motherboard: Asus A8N-BR (Pyrite) (1 PCI, 2 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394)

Motherboard Chipset - nVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE, AMD Hammer

Power Supply: No idea (but it's less than 100 watts, I think)

Processor: DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3800+

CPU Cooler: A fan

Memory:

- DIMM1: Kingston 1 GB DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM (5-4-4-12 (at) 266 MHz) (4-4-4-12 (at) 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 (at) 200 MHz)

- DIMM2: Kingston 2G-UDIMM 2 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 (at) 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 (at) 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 (at) 200 MHz)

Hard Drive: 250 GB ATA drive

Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H20L ATA Device (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-RAM:5x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)

What I wanted from the System

- Hardware

USB 2.0 & 3.0 ports

Firewire & or eSata port

Support for DVI/HDMI (display port?) - either from the motherboard or from the GPU

Quad Core

- Software

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Folding @ Home

-- Gaming Software

--- Retail discs

(Heroes of) Might & Magic (all)

Diablo 1 - 2 LOD

SimCity 3000/Unlimited/4000/Rushour

The Sims 1 - And all expansions

The Sims 2

Warcraft 2 - Tides of Darkness & Beyond the Dark Portal

Warcraft 3 - Reign of Chaos & Frozen Throne

-- Steam

ID software

- Commander Keen

- Doom (will run Classic Doom 3 as well)

- Hexen/Heretic

- Quake

- Rage

- Wolfenstein

PopCap Games

- Bejeweled

- Peggle

Bethesda

- The Elder Scrolls:

-- Morrowind (may try MorrOblivion & Skywind)

-- Oblivion

-- Skyrim (plenty of graphical mods)

- Fallout

-- 1-3/New Vegas

Valve

- Portal 1/2 (plenty of custom maps)

- Half Life (if it will run)

-- Along with the fan remake

Misc Title

-- Batman: Arkham Asylum/City

-- Deus Ex: Human Revolution

-- Dragon Age: Origins

-- L.A Noire

-- Legends of Grimmrock

-- Torchlight 1/2

-- Metro 2033 (& Last Light)

-- Sniper Elite (2?)

-- Space Quest & King's Quest (if I can run them)

-- Bioshock 1/2(/Infinite?)

-- Sonic Generation

- I may try to run (some?) PS2/Wii/GCN games

Power Supply

- @At most 750 watts

- At lest 80+ Silver

- Semi or fully Modular

MISC thoughts

- Eventual dual monitor setup & one be HD

- 23+ Inch Widescreen

-- I presume one these three monitors is a good choice:

--- http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-ve258q (leaning towards this)

--- http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vg23ah

--- http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vs239hp

- I will not overclock. The CPU chosen was cheaper than the NON "K" edition. By like $30 or more.

- I really don't care between AMD & Nvidia, which ever has fewer problems running what I want.

Thank you, merci, gracias, domou arigato . . . .

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($202.82 @ SuperBiiz)

The motherboard seem expensive. Is there a feature I overlooked and have you checked out Gigabyte boards(my preference)?

For gaming especially Skyrim and Batman AA, the system will blow your old system out of the water. Overall it looks fine, but check out reviews on the card to see if you like the performance.

For folding@home and emulation, those can depend heavily on how well it is optimized, software used, and even drivers. Even if you have a powerful setup, the performance may not be great...not a big issue for folding@home(anything help).

For monitor, IPS panels are preferred(accurate colors from all viewing angles) but IDK what specific panels to look out for(there can be differences in quality between individual panels). I usually go for the cheapest that looks good in person. Specs can be fluffed and may not be comparable across brands and most issues may not be noticeable in the real world.

Other than that, I would likely lean to get get 16GB as it should not be much more expensive...get it while it is cheap.

It was what people on other sites suggested I get. It does have more (e)SATA ports than cheaper motherboards and more USB -- both are good, I will probably want a lot of storage and backup storage. Does 10/100/1000Mbps mean that supports wifi? We can't easily run a Ethernet cable from one end of the house to the other from my system to connect to a router.

You can probably save $50 on the motherboard easy, the MSI Z77A-GD55 is probably a better value. Not as many features but you probably don't care. You're not overclocking either, so given your modest needs, no need to spend $200 on a board when a $130 or $150 one does the job just fine.

Does 10/100/1000Mbps mean that supports wifi?
No, that indiciates a wired ethernet connection. Check the motherboard specs if you need wifi- usually only higher-end boards support wifi, and you are generally much more cost-effective to buy a separate PCI-e add-in Wifi card than you are a higher-end motherboard with built-in wifi.

Case, you can get away with much less than $132 if you want. Higher-end chassic like the Fractal Design R4 won't save you very much money, but going down to a Corsair 200R or something, while lower-end, still has enough attention to detail and is less than half the cost.

750W is also way overkill unless you plan to run high-end cards in SLI/Crossfire later. Step down to a Corsair CX430 V2 ($20~25 after rebate, if you can catch a rebate). Your proposed box probably won't break 300W at the wall, so even 430W from a reputable PSU is overkill. (some say not to skimp on PSU; I am one of them, but if value is a concern, the CX430 V2 is very good for a cheaper unit. I would probably do a Seasonic G-series, probably the G360 or G550, whatever you can get for the best value otherwise. The 550W Seasonic G-series should handle a GTX 680 just fine with headroom to spare...)

With the $225 you just saved, spend it on a GTX 670 or GTX 680 or Radeon HD 7970 or something. You see far, far more gain with the video card than you would in upgrading other components in your proposed build. Your Radeon HD 7850 is by far the biggest limiting factor, I would suggest a minimum of a Radeon HD 7870 or GTX 660 if you can; long-term use if no future upgrades are planned, a Radeon HD 7960 or GTX 660 Ti would be a better minimum.