chaostheory

LSI 9260-4i + 2x marvell based drives config

6 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

I've got two LSI controllers on my desk 9260 and 9240. Decided to try 9260 first, but what concerns me is... I'm getting really poor speed compared to X79 chipset.

I'm using 2 plextor drives: M5S and M5Pro. I know they're not equally fast, but for benching will do just right.

Look at results vs Intel:

iAf8w.jpg

X79 is better at 4K writes and completely destroys my 9260 in terms of 4k-64Thrd.

Configuration:

VAmwY.jpg

Could you help me with this one? I can provide screenshots of anything you need :)

Regards

Without an apples to apples comparison with the same drives its hard to say what it could be. How is caching configured on the 9240 and 9260? Is it just write through or write back? If its write-back is there a battery or is it forced on without battery present?

But I know a single M5S gets about ~85 MB/s random 4k write on Intel chipset. So on a controller I should get AT LEAST the same number, while I do have ~53 MB/s using two drives :/

I played with caching: disabled/enabled. If I make "disable" in options, my sequential writes drop to ~150 MB/s so it's no go. I tried write-through, write-back without battery and the result almost never changes. Give or take 50 MB/s sequential speeds.

Could be a controller limitation. Plus an asymmetric RAID0 (since your drives are different models) may have its own performance penalties.

Unfortunately those are just guesses.

Two Intel SSD 520 drives will arrive to me tomorrow. We will see then.

Another thing - switch to IOMeter. Intel RST does Cache into RAM a lot and thus shows miraculous results.

If this is the result using AHCI, then I wonder why the case. I have 2xintel 520 on RAID1 on an 9271 and the picture is different altogether.