bobmax

Trim?

6 posts in this topic

So, What exactly is TRIM please?

Sorry if this has been posted b/4.

I have't had much time to browse through all the threads etc. :unsure:

TRIM means, that the OS tells deleted space to the SSD, so the controller inside the SSD can mark them free and us this space having better and stable performance. Before TRIM Windows marked deleted files just internally as deleted and overwritten the files when it become necessary, which was fine for HDDs but not for SSDs.

SSDs need more free space to have maximum performance, because always complete pages need to be written, with some blocks inside. This works better having more free pages.

TRIM means, that the OS tells deleted space to the SSD, so the controller inside the SSD can mark them free and us this space having better and stable performance. Before TRIM Windows marked deleted files just internally as deleted and overwritten the files when it become necessary, which was fine for HDDs but not for SSDs.

SSDs need more free space to have maximum performance, because always complete pages need to be written, with some blocks inside. This works better having more free pages.

Thank You.

So does Windows 7 support/Have Trim, or does one have to download it?

Windows 7 supports the Trim command.

With your new SSD, use the below to verify that trim is working.

How do I know if TRIM is working in Windows 7?

In the elevated(right click- run as administrator) command Prompt windows, type the following:

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

Results explained below:

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)

DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

Software like SSDlife Free can also tell if trim is supported and if it is system enabled.

Other than that, I would also check if your drive is aligned. You can run msinfo32 and look if the partition starting offset divisible by 4096 or download AS SSD Benchmark. It should say 'Okay' or 'Bad' under the drive name.

Windows 7 supports the Trim command.

With your new SSD, use the below to verify that trim is working.

Software like SSDlife Free can also tell if trim is supported and if it is system enabled.

Other than that, I would also check if your drive is aligned. You can run msinfo32 and look if the partition starting offset divisible by 4096 or download AS SSD Benchmark. It should say 'Okay' or 'Bad' under the drive name.

sorry I'm still a bit of a dummie on this issue.:rolleyes: What "command prompt " are we talking about, the one in the "Start"?

Thanks for the reply. :)

Edited by bobmax