Brian

WD Black 4TB Hard Drive Announced Discussion

18 posts in this topic

$339 MSRP - so I guess it depends on what you call mad. We'll see how it does after it's out a few months in channel.

4 platters would be excellent - currently all 4 TB drives use 5 of them. This one is a bit heavier than the 4 platter 2 TB and official STR isn't much higher than on previous drives, so it seems to use 5 platters as well. Same as RE4.

MrS

This isn't a 4 platter drive? 1TB platter drives have been out a long time now. There really isn't any excuse why this isn't a 4 platter drive other than cost savings.

This isn't a 4 platter drive? 1TB platter drives have been out a long time now. There really isn't any excuse why this isn't a 4 platter drive other than cost savings.

It's 5x800GB

It needs to be cooler and quieter than the RE4. But, with all the technologies they've added, it'll no doubt be a totally new drive internally.

It needs to be cooler and quieter than the RE4. But, with all the technologies they've added, it'll no doubt be a totally new drive internally.

Are you being sarcastic? It's the same drive, just slightly different firmware. There could also be some difference regarding the quality of inner components.. but all-in-all it's pretty much the same. Coming to this forecast by looking at the specs and the "differences" between previous Black and RE 7.2k rpm drives. Also it's much cheaper to use the same design as often as you can.

At 5 platters @ 7.2k rpm it's not going to be quite. And at 8 W idle power consumption it's not going to be cool. But both specs are not the purpose of this drive anyway.

MrS

I think i will wait for the 4TB green with the 1TB per platter, I am more interested in cheap space then expensive space with marginally better access times. At this point if i wanted access times and speed i would jut invest in a larger SSD

I think i will wait for the 4TB green with the 1TB per platter, I am more interested in cheap space then expensive space with marginally better access times. At this point if i wanted access times and speed i would jut invest in a larger SSD

If it's like the 2TB Black, it'll have average random access times of around 12ms, maybe 11.8 if I remember correctly, thanks to the peizo wrist. That is competitive. But yeah if it's crazy expensive then not worth it but if you're like me, you'll wait 2 years and then buy it for $90 or something.

Ours is in lab now testing away. Will try to get you sneak peak of the data next week.

but if you're like me, you'll wait 2 years and then buy it for $90 or something.

But only if it's alread got 730 days of uptime on the clock, right? New HDD prices haven't moved much during the entire year, don't expect this to change anytime soon.

MrS

What's kind of crappy is that the ONLY new drive is the 4TB Black. The 2TB, 1TB and 500GB versions are all from the previous gen that has 500GB/platter

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=760

In which case, only the 4TB and 2TB drives have the piezoelectric servo wrist for a bit quicker random r/w performance

Somehow they managed to theoretically reduce power consumption from the 2TB 4-platter model of 10.7W/8.2W to the 4TB 5-platter model at 10.4W/8.1W ((read/write)/idle)

There has got to be some issue with making mass volumes of 1TB (500GB/side) platters, or the heads.

Edited by danwat1234