Sign in to follow this  

Current favorite for reliable SSD with Self Encrypting Drive (FDE) ?

Dear all,

Maybe a friendly soul can speed me on my way. :) I'm looking for an inexpensive SSD with Self-Encrypting Drive, a.k.a. Full Disk Encryption, a.k.a. controller AES capabilities.

It is for a light-use boot drive. I was hoping for a ~120 GB SSD with a recent controller for ~100 USD, and I value reliability above all else.

At first I was hoping for the new Samsung 840 (Pro/NonPro) series. But the Pro series is still a bit expensive, and besides there are anecdotal reports of premature deaths.

When I look at my value favorites from the previous generation -- the Samsung 830 series, Crucial m4, Intel 330 they don't support encryption.

I'm not a fan of Sandforce. I realize this is harsh, and that many people are super happy with their Sandforce based drives -- but I'm just not a fan.

Is there a current favorite drive in the lower-cost but high-reliability segment, which has onboard full disk encryption? I'm perfectly willing to sacrifice performance for field-proven reliability.

Thank you,

Have you looked at the Plextor M5P? Marvel controller, 5 year warranty, and fast. Note the M5S and older M3 lineup does not offer AES AFAIK. However the price is kinda high(compared to sandforce and Samsung) and it is somewhat new.

@Kdawgca Thank you very much. I agree that the Plextor M5 Pro looks promising; and it has the encryption capability that I'm looking for. As you mention, it's new on the market and has a bit of a premium pricing still. I might go for that drive -- but was hoping to find something a bit cheaper. :rolleyes::)