Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
meridiusuk

Which drive the WD red or Green for none NAS use

9 posts in this topic

Hi all new here and nice to meet you all.

I am hoping that you can help me as i want to buy a 3tb drive and since samsung have stoped making there drives i was woundering which drive to get.

I have had a look at the WD green and red 3TB drives but i dont know which is the better drive. I dont use a NAS systems or raid and the drives will be just used as single drive storage as it will be placed into a server as just single drives.

can anyone help me on what to use.

thanks

Edited by meridiusuk

I'd personally choose the red over the green because they all use 1TB platters and have TLER support should you ever use them in a raid config.

I take it "green" low power is your primary concern ?

The new seagate ST2000DM001 use very low power as a 7200rpm drive, I believe they are within 1watt of the green/red drives and outperform them.

I'd personally choose the red over the green because they all use 1TB platters and have TLER support should you ever use them in a raid config.

I take it "green" low power is your primary concern ?

The new seagate ST2000DM001 use very low power as a 7200rpm drive, I believe they are within 1watt of the green/red drives and outperform them.

I don't think I could trust seagate as I have herd there not the best drives.

I was wondering if you could us reds as single drives as I have herd that these need to be as a pair as I read ths on another forum

WD Red drives wouldn't be recommend in a non-RAID setup really, as it has time limited error recovery. In a RAID setup another drive will supply the data instead. In a non-redundant setup, you want the drive to try for as long as it can to get any data (usually).

What you think ?

I don't think I could trust seagate as I have herd there not the best drives.

What you think ?

I think you're smoking something if you think WD drives are better than Seagate.

which drive then a 3tb green or red ? I have herd the reds are built better and alot cooler. I would of thought WD would let users use these as single drives ?