Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tony66

new ssd

10 posts in this topic

hi,just joined today due to the hundreds of ssd's on the net and i just cannot decide what is best for my laptop,i have a dell xps m1530 with 4 gb ram and 320gb hdd,i would be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction,preferably someone with same laptop,i will not need any more than 256gb ssd as ive only used 165gb in 3 years on my xps,thanks

I don't have your notebook, but any "name brand" SSD should be compatible(imcompatiblity is rare and is usually fixed by a firmware update to the SSD). As long as you buy one with a warranty(most have 3 years, some have 5 years) and use a credit card(gives you extra protection), I wouldn't worry about it not working with your XPS.

What is your budget and what kind of tasks do you plan to do? Some SSDs can be faster, use a tad less power, or maybe be more reliable, but for most users, most of that doesn't matter.

I don't have your notebook, but any "name brand" SSD should be compatible(imcompatiblity is rare and is usually fixed by a firmware update to the SSD). As long as you buy one with a warranty(most have 3 years, some have 5 years) and use a credit card(gives you extra protection), I wouldn't worry about it not working with your XPS.

What is your budget and what kind of tasks do you plan to do? Some SSDs can be faster, use a tad less power, or maybe be more reliable, but for most users, most of that doesn't matter.

just normal browsing,now and again download a movie and music,usually have 4/5 tabs open at once listen to podcasts while browsing too,just general basically,thanks

Can't go wrong with Samsung. They're what I recommend.

Anything but OCZ is good.

I've a few Crucial M4 units, a Kingston V+200 and a couple of Samsung 830. I'd recommend any of them. The 830 is the fastest, followed by the Crucials, with the Kingston following up closely behind.

Keep in mind an XPS M1530 is an older Core 2 Duo box... it should be fast enough to see a significant performance improvement, but if you end up underwhelmed, you may need more memory, or a better computer. ;)