xavis

5k4000 in RAID 5?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Hitachi's 5K4000 (HDS5C4040ALE630) drives in RAID 5.

I am thinking about purchasing a QNAP NAS server for which I would like to use low-noise, power-saving, and high-volume drives, for which the 5K400s should be perfect. However, they are not on the QNAP's compatibility list, so I wanted to hear if anyone had experience with these drives in a RAID system before I go out and buy them.

Thank you,

xavis

Backblaze loves 'em. Of consumer disks they say they've had the best luck with Hitachi Deskstar's by far.

However if you need guaranteed compatibility I would run something on the compatibility list...

Thank you very much for your reply. I've had feedback from HGST and they say that they should work in QNAP's systems. However, I am having trouble receiving any answer from QNAP. I asked if they thought there would be any problems with what I have proposed here, but the guy keeps telling me he "will check internal" and then I never hear from him again.

Anyways, thank you for your reply. I may try and buy a couple and see. Anyway, I will be able to use them as external disks..

I am up to 2 of these in my readynas ultra 6 (6 drives in xraid dual redundant config). These two are paired with 4 seagate 7200RPM 3TB drives. I'm adding one drive, letting the NAS resync to it and run for about a week, then adding the next. Pretty soon I'll get to realize added space.