Sign in to follow this  
Vaugh

Files on SSD (Kingston 200 V+) disappeared

Hi all,

today I was working on my computer when I encountered a really wired problem.

Almost all files on Desktop and in My Documents simply disappeared.

Not all but a significant part.

I was working on a Excel file and when I minimized it I saw my Desktop almost empty.

I've tried to restore to a previous point (last Friday) and nothing is changed.

I've booted the PC with a Knoppix CD to attempt a restore from linux with no success.

I can't understand what is happened.

Someone can help me?

Thanks.

Odd behavior of course...not sure I'd start looking at the drive though, sounds more systemic than that. I assume you've looked for virus or other infestation?

Odd behavior of course...not sure I'd start looking at the drive though, sounds more systemic than that. I assume you've looked for virus or other infestation?

Thanks for reply.

I have Kaspersky Workstation on it.

I've scanned the SSD with Kaspersky Rescue Disk and nothing went wrong.

Is there any method or software I can use to try to restore files on a SSD?

Hard to know exactly where to tell you to go since we don't know the cause. Why did the restore not work? Do you have another drive you can try to restore to to see if your backup is corrupted?

Hard to know exactly where to tell you to go since we don't know the cause. Why did the restore not work? Do you have another drive you can try to restore to to see if your backup is corrupted?

Can you make a new user profile and see if it happens. Also any pattern in the type of files?

Also what Operating system are you using?

This is a brand new (bought two weeks ago) computer and unfortunatley there is no backup or system image (planned but not implemented yet).

I'm on Windows 7 and I used the Restore Points utility, no system image as I said (me dumb!!).

I cloned the SSD and restored it on a new one. It works fine.

Also the original SSD works fine and it seems to work well (I can create a new profile).

Now I'm scanning the origilnal SSD with Ontrack EasyRecovery.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks.

This really sounds like one of the many viruses that hides files/programs from the user ....

there is a utility called unhide.exe that can reverse this.

This really sounds like one of the many viruses that hides files/programs from the user ....

there is a utility called unhide.exe that can reverse this.

I scanned the SSD in three different way (KAV Rescue CD, Kaspersky Workstation, Micrososft Security Essentials) and no threats was detected.

I used the unhide.exe utility and no files were recovered.

System Restore wouldn't recover files off your desktop anyway, that's not what it's for.

You're right, but I give it a shot.

Anyway I scanned the SSD with EaseUS Data Recvoery Wizard with no success.

I'm planning to use some other software, any suggestion?

Thanks.

At this point, I think you will be out of luck.

Whatever deleted your files would have triggered TRIM to recover the deleted space. The sectors would have been garbage collected and no accessable trace left.

I don't think it is a hardware problem, because your windows directories would have been affected too, causing the computer to show many errors, or even refuse to boot.

This definitely sounds like an operating system or viral problem, and not the SSD itself. I second what rugger said, if the SSD randomly lost a bunch of stuff on its own, the OS would probably stop working too.