Sign in to follow this  
Axl

Corsair Neutron GTX bombing at Newegg

As the title says, the 4 most recent reviews (out of 6 total) give it 1 egg each, mentioning the drive lagging behind last-generation SSD's in performance and being flaky. Reviews on the regular Neutron are quite positive, and the Force GS is getting great remarks. I have a 1.5 year old F120 that's as good as new. It's definitely not Corsair in general. What's going on with the Neutron GTX? I was hoping to see the LAMD controller succeed, if for no other reason than to have a good reason to buy another SSD.

SR - have you experienced any weirdness with the Neutron GTX, and kindly remind me, did you have a regular Neutron as well?

We haven't encountered any issues with the GTX, especially performance related like the NewEgg reviews comment towards, even in the early-production firmware we tested in the weeks before its launch. I believe we have a production-version GTX laying around (we reviewed an engineering sample, although it was identical minus firmware version initially). I'll clone one of our workstations to it and see how it behaves on a day to day basis.

As to the standard Neutron, we do have one of those, although we didn't formally review it yet.

It's sad that companies just keep cranking out half-baked PC products, especially SSDs. Until the FTC starts suing these companies and financially punishing them for these defective products, they will keep shipping them for great profit.

It's sad that companies just keep cranking out half-baked PC products, especially SSDs. Until the FTC starts suing these companies and financially punishing them for these defective products, they will keep shipping them for great profit.

Face it, until people put their money where their mouth is, and pay for all this extra testing and validation that they claim they want, it is all a bunch of hot air and what people really want are fast and cheap SSDs.

Edit: you can always buy from intel, which spent ages validating their sandforce drives (but still didn't pick up the malfunctioning AES engine)

Edited by rugger

:rolleyes: Thank you oh great testers of the Bleeding Edge for you have resources beyond my means. Reliability and support have come to mean more as the years accumulate. Performance is important; but I'm willing to shave a bit for price. I'll my toe into SSD waters with a Samsung Notebook Kit (for the USB3 combo adapter) - 128GB the likely sweet spot. Perhaps formatted to 100GB for reliable sustained performance with good longevity. That's fine for entry level; but for larger capacities and greater performance with a bigger budget I find the decision far more difficult.

I read a few reviews of various Corsair Neutron (mostly non GT) combinations and they show promise. The $175 (with rebate) on Newegg for a 240GB (non GT) is appealing, but rebates are too much like gambling with scratch off lottery tickets!

For now I'll play it a bit safer with Samsung. Later? Ida Know... keep on Bleedin' folks!;)