Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kevin OBrien

StarTech 15U Server Rack Review [2636CABINET] Discussion

10 posts in this topic

The StarTech 2636 cabinet is a 15U server rack that ships fully assembled and is ready to go right out of the box. The growing rack space requirements of the StorageReview Enterprise Testing Lab mean that we perpetually need to deploy additional rack space to keep up with the growing number of compute and storage array reviews we're reviewing at any given time. While full-size racks are great, this time around we were searching for something unique that spoke more to the needs of small/branch offices in addition to serving as a platform for the new wave of cluster-in-a-box solutions. The StarTech 2636 is ideal for these target applications, offering a sturdy 15U of rack space in a comparatively small footprint.

StarTech 15U Server Rack Review [2636CABINET]

$1,067.99 USD <_< I think I'll wait to build my home rack mount server! OTOH, it sure looks more serviceable than most home kludges, more reliable, and a convenient size. Um....add some RED LEDs ... B)

Goes for about 900 on Amazon right now, but in terms of something that can support that much weight, they are all up in that price range.

Nice looking cabinet.

Quick questions: Can you comment on the noise dampening abilities? Did you guys take any temperature/acoustic measurements with the cabinet buttoned up?

Thanks in advance.

peace,

We can't button it up with the gear we're running, the rack is a little more designed for entertainment gear than hard core computing. We need the front door off to draw air in across the machines, and the back door off for our InfiniBand cabling.

Maybe, we'll have to see about getting them to send us one.

Thanks for your reply Brian.

This particular cabinet caught my eye, particularly when compared to the StarTech unit (which is a gorgeous unit).

The HP unit looks a bit more utilitarian in comparison; While it does lose 1U to the StarTech, the HP S10614 adds ~4" to the depth (perhaps enough to clearance the stiff IB cable radius). It also has a perforated front door (maybe rear also?) improving airflow. Also, the cabinet is 50lbs lighter, making it a bit easier to roll around.

These seem like nice features in a small cabinet - particularly given how quickly the power/density ratio of gear is changing. Sadly, there is little information to be found on these HP cabinets.

Thanks again.

peace,

I agree, an extra 4" would be great and we've taken all the doors off our unit, which if it were in a small business wouldn't matter. Although it does look really good with the doors on ;)