Sign in to follow this  
Brian

HGST Demonstrates 7-Platter Helium Hard Drive Platform Discussion

With Hitachi's current 1TB platters and a prospective 7-platter design (Hitachi 7D Platform), data center operators will quickly be salivating over potential massive gains in TBs per inch.

Not only will they be salivating, data center operators will be enjoying their new high-pitched voices. :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Very interesting, and totally unexpected for me! Helium is rather expensive, and quickly getting more expensive during the last years, but for premium drives and post-flood prices this should not be an issue.

And if they got the sealing perfect, they could also reduce the pressure inside the drive. Just enough to make the head fly. This will reduce the amount of He per drive and will further reduce friction. The outside pressure might even help with sealing the drive. And while I'm at it.. the could use sealing + low pressure with cheaper gases as well, if the price for He becomes too high.

MrS

Servo Track Writing under He is done for a long time, and using it in the drive discussed for decades. Sealing was and is always the issue.

Excited to see this baby in the field soon.

If they can get the price and warranty competitive (aka no massive price premium) than these will sell like crazy. No RAID5 for these guys! With the slow write speed compared to the massive size, a raid5 rebuild would take too long with a high chance of an URE. I'd only feel safe using raid6 on these big guys.