Sign in to follow this  
nekatreven

Disk choice for RAID50

Hello,

I am rebuilding our file server and wanted to get some input on drive selection. The current server is just a linux soft-raid5 with six Seagate 1.5TB consumer disks, but it is nearly full (somehow we didn't get caught up in their firmware issues even though we ordered 9 of them when all that was all hitting the fan!!). It currently stores almost exclusively jpg images, shared over Samba.

I've now moved to a 16 bay supermicro case and I've picked up a 3ware 9650SE-16 card to add in. I'm planning on a RAID50 starting with a total of seven 3tb drives, with 1 being a universal hot spare, and then I could expand from there as needed. Once the new build is up I'd also like to keep a virtual disk or two on the array, but nothing very I/O intensive.

I wanted to use the Ultrastar 7K4000 3tb drives (HUS724030ALE640) but no one seems to have them in stock. Now I'm looking at the Seagate 3tb ES.2 drives (ST33000650NS), and although they are a fair bit older I'm wondering if I shouldn't just use those instead.

Based on all that would anyone have any thoughts as to whether it is worth holding out for the 3tb 7K4000, or is there some other disk I should be looking at besides the 3tb ES.2?

TIA for any insight you may have,

Mark

Can't say too much about the drives, we are looking at something that uses the Hitachi but don't have any time invested in either yet.

However. . .a 6-disk RAID50? If you're not going to be IO-intensive, I'd say a RAID6 is the better call.

Also, if by "expand later" you mean expanding the hw RAID group, then IME this takes an extremely long time. LIke, weeks, when you're talking about several TB of data.

Can't say too much about the drives, we are looking at something that uses the Hitachi but don't have any time invested in either yet.

However. . .a 6-disk RAID50? If you're not going to be IO-intensive, I'd say a RAID6 is the better call.

Also, if by "expand later" you mean expanding the hw RAID group, then IME this takes an extremely long time. LIke, weeks, when you're talking about several TB of data.

Yea, that was what I meant and you raise a good point; I've been through a few of those on a smaller scale and I guess I just hadn't scaled up the numbers in my head. I'm planning to use the array for more things as I get more spindles up so it will be busy eventually. I'll have to give that some thought. I may just have to redo the array when I get the next set of drives. For the drives themselves, barring any new information I think I'm going to go with the Seagates. Aside from the fact the Hitachi's are harder to source right now, I'm a little concerned that all but the 4tb model of that line are MIA.

Thank you for the input,

Mark